Thru Hull fitting that has a drain plug inside

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

pilgrim32

Thru Hull fitting that has a drain plug inside

Post by pilgrim32 »

Ahoy gang. While trying to clean my bilge area in the area on the strut backing block and rudder post. I tried to open the bilge drain in the stern that is a thru hull with mushroom flange on the outside and a threaded square pipe plug on the inside but 31 yrs of bilge water has got the best of the threads. So its time for replacement, do all thru hulls come with a threaded interior I've seen thru hulls with a hose barb attachment put not threaded drain plugs is that something you just find a plug to fit. thanks in advance for any reply's Brian
pilgrim32
1978 F-26 HT
Plymouth.MA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36731885@N07/
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Pipe thread
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
pilgrim32

Post by pilgrim32 »

Thanks Wowzer52 for the reply. Yup the thru hull is a mushroom type flange with a pipe thread plug inside it on interior. I have only found something similar to it in one catalog. Once I remove it I'll be giving Bob or Don at Beacon Marine a call to see if they have a replacement for it. The other same thru hull design drain plug seems to be forward in the bow area bilge don't know if its the same size as the rear. Talk to you later Brian
pilgrim32
1978 F-26 HT
Plymouth.MA
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Once I remove it I'll be giving Bob or Don at Beacon Marine a call to see if they have a replacement for it.
It is preferable to support Bob or Don every chance we get, for everything we can get from them, but if they don't have it, any hardware store will have a brass plug that will fit.
pilgrim32

Post by pilgrim32 »

Sorry Wowzer 52. I should of been more descriptive. It's the whole thru hull fitting assembly that needs replacement. I have never seen a thru hull fitting with the drain plug attachment in it,on the shelfs of some of the marine supply stores I visit to get prices on things?. Yup plenty of garboard drain plug assembly's but not any mushroom flange thru hull fittings with drain/pipe thread plugs inside. Thanks for any response. Brian
pilgrim32
1978 F-26 HT
Plymouth.MA
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

I didn't realize you needed the whole thing(or is that the "hole" thing). Beacon Marine can guide you. I have seen them at several different marine supply outlets here in the northwest so there should be plenty out your way.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

drain plug

Post by larryeddington »

Most likely there two one in the stern and one forwards. They are referred to as Garboard plugs, don't known why the name. I am going to take mine out and replace with a brass one, won't stick again.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink