What is...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

k9th
Ultimate User

What is...

Post by k9th »

The worst wave condition that you have ever been in on your Trojan an where were you?

6-8 foot very steep breakers for me on Lake Michigan
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

so far 3-4's and got wet on the fly as we were headed up wind

now in the inflatable we did 2-3's with 20knots that was very wet
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I been out in 3-4 footers that beat the heck out of you , and been out in much larger that are no big deal . There is more to waves then the height. I will just say I have been out in some bad days.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Middle of last July I was on my way home from the Lake Erie Islands when some bad storms decided to move in out of the west.
I pulled into Chagrin to wait it out but they could not fit me in the club and only had room at the fuel dock which is in the river. There was NO way I was staying in the river so I fueled up and headed back out knowing I could just run the north shore back east if I had to.
For a while I was able to run hard enough that I was keeping the closest storm about 10 miles behind me when when out of no where the storms speed about doubled and I was watching it close in on us.
We stayed out just far enough in the lake to stay out of the lightning but still had peak winds of 65mph.
I could not have asked the boat to perform any better than it did (these Delta Conic hulls are a wonderful thing) other than it prompted me to install two fans on the bridge to keep things clear when closed up during the violent downpours.
It was pretty comical as my girlfriend was wiping the windows about every minute or so she was singing the theme from Gilligans Island!
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

3 to 4s
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
captainralph

what is

Post by captainralph »

I had my f31 in 15 swells out side ny harbor on the way to fires island.it was hairy,but made it there and back home up the hudson
Capt C J Bouchard
Jersdevil
Moderate User

Post by Jersdevil »

3 -4 with about 2 second duration between waves. Chesapeake Bay a few weeks ago. Wind came up fast. Got soaked on the bridge heading into the wind crossing the bay back to the marina. She handled well.
Hank Newman
"Winsome" 1979 - F30 Clean Machine
First Sergeant, U.S. Army Retired
Co-Owner Don Snyder
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

4-6's in a 30 knot wind, running in the trough. [Always worried about the odd 8-10 occasionally thrown in just for fun]. Worried about the boat breaking.

Was more concerned last year getting caught in the rain and fog in the middle of Lake Huron with no radar. [Have radar in the basement, still watching eBay for an arch]
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

4 to 6's and the boat handled them well, much better than my wife and myself. I try to avoid them like the plague but "stuff" happens.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Wes thats what you get for trying to out run a Hurricane home .

I would never do that :roll:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

That wasn't in the hurricane. NOAA said, "seas 1 to 2 feet" in LI Sound 2 years ago. They LIED! We got half way to Plum Gut and had 4 footers. By the time we were 3/4's of the way to Plum Gut we were in 6 footers.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I was thinking of the run home from St Mikes ( trop. storm offshore)
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

I know, but the 4 and 6's on the ocean weren't as bad as LI Sound. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

your not, 4 footers are nothing in the ocean but can be hell in the bays and sounds
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

5 and 6 footers running down the Chesapeake to the Potomac a few years ago. Then another 4-5 footers with high wind and following seas for the next 38 miles up the river... At night!

Not fun sliding down one wave to swing sideways then constantly making throttle and steering corrections to keep from broaching...it would probably take a lot to completely breach this Trojan but when you're up on the bridge in that crap, white knuckled, many things run through your mind. 9 hours later, pulled into our slip which normally would have taken 3 1/2 hours, for that trip.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!