What is the red button for?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

72SeaRaider

What is the red button for?

Post by 72SeaRaider »

Thanks to everyone for the warm invite.

OK, first question. I have an old breaker box on my boat. It has three fuses, 1 breaker, and a red button. Wiring is the one part of the resto job that is new to me, and is going to be my biggest challenge.

My question. What does the red button do? I can make out what is says barely on the label, but it's seems to be a foreign language to me. The boat is a 1972 Raider Express and the box is to the right of the steering helm mounted almost to the floor.

MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

looks like a fire waiting to happen...............be sure to have a pro check it over before you put the juice to it
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

i don't know but Don't push it :shock:
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I would guess it is a polarity tester. Press it with shore power connected and if the polarity is wrong it will trip your breaker. Just a guess....you need a wiring diagram!!
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
72SeaRaider

Post by 72SeaRaider »

Thanks for the replys. Polarity is one word I can make out on the label, but I wasn't sure if I should hit it with the shore power connected or not. I just ordered a manual and wiring diagram from Beacon yesterday so I will wait for that to come in.

During a review of everything below deck I found an outlet in the engine/bilge area up against the cabin wall. I need to get that out of there before I start messing with any other wiring items.

My bilge pump is out and it's a wiring issue so it looks like I will just have to wire it up to the battery until I get this part figured out.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Be sure to include a fuse in your bilge pump circuit.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

The Trojan Power Sensor panel (AC circuit breakers) has a polarity tester and I'm sure that's what this is. My suggestion is to replace the current set up with a newer AC distribution panel, etc with breakers not fuses. The fun is JUST beginning!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

could it be for the ejection seat?
moveover

Post by moveover »

I think its to call the hostess for a refill.