Re-Powering an 1973 F32--Diesel or Gas?????

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

etpence

Post by etpence »

If your looking at cost go with gas I repowered this year with 2 pleasurecraft marine (PCM) 5.7Lt 330hp multi port fuel injected engines
and did it for the price that just 1 single deisel would have cost me
these were brand new engines with transmissions
I looked hard at deisels but the economics of it with a family to feed wasnt fissible
|I had 318s before at 225hp the increase inhp and getting away from carbed engines was a differance between night and day
I just finished the great circle tour from texas to the great lakes back to down the east coast back to texas
while alot of the cruising was at slower speeds I burned 15gal per hour ea while at full cruising speed 22kts with the original propellers
I have since changed props from 14/14 to 15/15s and have goten 24/24 kts crusing speed and dropped fuel consumtion down to 14gal per hour
so its really about what you want to spend if you have the money for deisels go for it but dont rule out a set of good gas engines
Todd 31 trojan Mio Mio 8)
rossjo
Ultimate User

PCM 5.7L 330HP?

Post by rossjo »

PCM 5.7L 330HP is a High-Oouput EFI motor, costing $7.5k/ea + shipping + install + EFI setup.= $10-12k/ea = $20-25k total.

Pushing a Small Block to 330HP is NOT a great idea - these will not last long. Definieltely go with 7.4L motors if you DO decide to go gas.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
everus

Post by everus »

I have listened and learned! However I still like the idea of going smelly if it can be done at the right price. WHO KNOWS?
Would these puppies fit in an F32?
It's a pair of cummins diesel engines V8 with borg warner 1.9 : 1 hydrolics transmissions both engines rebuilded by cummins 1992 and there are in very good running condition. The only picture that I have show the 2 engines in the holds of boat.

1- V470m v8 good condition 525 hrs since major overhall by Cummins (small oil leak on rear crankshaft seal)
1- V504m v8 good condition 600 hrs since major overhall by Cummins
both engines are basically the same,only boring are differents,one turn left and one turn right. Heat exchanger weight 1700 lbs. 210 Hp @ 3300 rpm

Love to hear some feed back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F32 Trojan on Lake Simcoe, Canada.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

the 504 was a tight fit in the F36 so I am not sure if they will fit in the F32
I will tell you the parts are costly for the 504 as they are getting harder to find. and I think the 470 will be as bad or worst . when I was looking for a F32/F36 I did not even look at the F36s that came with the 504 for this resones .

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I agree with Paul, not a good fit.

And, going forward these engines will be expensive and difficult to keep in service.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

startin to change my mind...

Post by JuiceClark »

Even when I'm not runnin' her, I like the start the engines and let them run until warm...usually a couple times a week. My mechanic says that's likely when valve overlap is allowing moisture into my engine. This is an ongoing problem and I'm growing tired of it.

I buy new long blocks for $2,500. That's nothing and I can run the hell out them without a problem. Thing is, GM big blocks never wear out...they always rot first.

The next time I have to repower, I think I'm going to buy a pair of used diesels from a pleasure boat. The reason I didn't buy diesels in the first place was the thought of changing props, shafts, logs, gauges, struts, etc etc. But pampering these crappy 454s is sapping my patience.

I'm gonna keep lookin' for one of these and will put some big-ass diesels in when I find it:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 16744&url=
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Juice have you ever seen one in real life ? I never had .love to go look at one .Thats one boat that nees diesels bad !
Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I repowered my 33' Trojan International 10 Meter last year. Replaced the worn out 454's with Yanmar 6cyl turbodiesels. I didn't want to do a rebuild of the 454 blocks & heads and then have to deal with all the old bolt on items like heat exchangers, oil coolers, starters, etc being 25 years old, so I started looking at the 8.1 Crusaders with transmissions, however doing a prop/shaft calculation showed that I was just outside the safety zone for the factory shafts. Once I figured shafts & props and then looked at the diesels again, the DIFFERENCE between the 8.1's and the diesels became less significant. No matter how you figure it when it comes time to sell her she will be worth at least the DIFFERENCE more with her diesels than with the gas engines. The increased speed, range & economy is an added plus. What an amazing vessel.

RWS
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Big 44' sedan

Post by JuiceClark »

Prowler,
Never have seen one in person...would really like to as well. That one I linked to in Canada is the only one I've ever seen anywhere. However, I saw on Ebay once an old magazine ad for one. So, I know the company at least made enough of them to want to advertise.

I'm sure that hull is the same as the F-44...and I like that hull. Where else are you going to get solid glass for cheap like that?! A couple big diesels in that baby and it's showtime! (of course, after I waste a ton of money on good lookin' improvements)
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Yanmar repower RWS

Post by JuiceClark »

RWS,
Those Yanmars would be a nice fit. Since you're right next door, I'd really like to know how much they get for a pair of those babies down here? Where you did the repower, etc. I thought new shafts wouldn't be too bad...but the shaft logs and all that weren't big enough to move-up from 1 3/8 to 1 1/2. That's when my head started to spin and I repowered with these G/d ed 454s.

My wife loves our F-36 and it looks like we'll be keeping it for a very long time...might as well consider the obvious.

I hope I never see an ol' lady walking down the street with a pair of marine diesels in her purse...who knows what I might do.

Tony in Ft. Myers, FL
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Juice,

It was a cooperative effort between the dealer and myself and was completed right in your back yard, in St James City.

My factory shafts were 1 1/4" and were borderline acceptable if I went with the 8.1 gas engines. Having to change the shafts, props, logs & struts made the jump to diesel less painful. Given the current fuel price situation, I'm really glad I did it !

The F-36 is a great vesssel, I've seen some pix of yours, you have a lot to be proud of.

Send me an e-mail and I'll provide you with the finer details

RWS
Ken

Post by Ken »

Has anyone ever put diesels in an F28. I am going to re-power soon and I am also wrestling with the age old question. gas vs diesel. Does anyone else own an F-28?