flybridge seats

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

flybridge seats

Post by gettaway »

I just finished my re upolstery of the flybridge seats.
Unfortunately, the only "before" photo I have was one I took when I brought the boat down from Long Beach, with my good luck bird by my side.
The smaller and older one on the starboard side is a Pompenette, when I removed the old vinyl, the wood base, back and arm rests were still in perfect shape and appear to have been sealed, the T-nuts are brass or bronze and were not corroded and the foam was covered in a second layer of thin plastic sheeting, still intact,
the larger helm chair is a B & M from I am assuming West Marine, they still sell the same seat, the plywood had delaminated on all of the wood parts and the aluminum back and arm rest support powder coating had peeled and was corroded under the powdercoating, the T nuts were rusty and the base is plastic.

I replaced the wood parts on the B&M with thicker plywood that I sealed with 4 coats of clear polyurethane, I used the old pieces to locate the bolt / screw holes and used stainless steel t nuts. On the Pompenette, I changes the style of the upolstery to match the B&M and update it a bit. all said and done, I have $70.00 in marine vinyl, wood and hardware...

[/img]

a photo from last weekend.... nice yacht, the cruise ship in the background with the red wing is the Carnival Splendor, the one that caught fire..

Image[/img]
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

they look nice..
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

thanks
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Nice looking job on the rework. Turned out great!

I re-did my Pompanette this past summer and found the same thing that you did - when I removed the vinyl, the foam and wood was in excellent shape and were well covered and protected. I am assuming that mine was the first recovering in the 30 years the boat has been in existence and it came out great just like yours.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

K9th, thanks a lot, I regret not taking photos of the job as I torn down the old seat covers and re upolstered,

isn't it amazing what a huge difference small changes make?
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

gettaway wrote:K9th, thanks a lot, I regret not taking photos of the job as I torn down the old seat covers and re upolstered,

isn't it amazing what a huge difference small changes make?
Isn't that the truth. My captain's chair is identical and looked much like yours. I only paid about $6.50 for the white leather fabric - found it on sale - and it took about two hours total. What a deal and it looks brand new.

Tim
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I ordered the piping and the hide-em welt from uposltery company, I could only find it in full rolls in san diego,I bought the vinyl from a small upolstery shop for $10.00 a yard, it took about 3-1/2 yards to completely recover both seats. the big upolstery stores want 15 to 20 $ a yard..
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice Job
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
sehord
Sporadic User

Post by sehord »

Looking good.... give me your address so that i can send mine up for repair as well
A ship in a harbor is safe.... But that's not what ships were built for
Still Floating

Post by Still Floating »

Very nice! I have Todd ladder backs with no cushions, very similiar to yours. Snaps are there though and I need to get some by next Spring or my Princess First Mate aint gonna be happy! They look awesome! Brand new.
1973 F25 Hard Top, Formerly a Flybridge
Crusader 350 FWC
Borg Warner V Drive