F26 Bow thruster

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Let me preface my two cents worth. I know nothing of rsciolino's boating experience, but assume he knows his way around the dock if he is undertaking such an extensive resto. That said,I feel
Ready is spot on as to getting training/experience, and Paul is correct in that the F26 can be a boogerbear to handle in some conditions. Knowing the boat's limitations and handling characteristics will help you keep out of trouble. BUT A bow thruster would be really nice sometimes .

RSCIOLINO, HERE IS A VID SHOWING THE RIDING ANGLE OF MY f26..

AT ABOUT 22 KNOTS

CLICK ON THE PIC TO SEE VID

Last edited by foofer b on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Foofer - he probably also needs to know what cruise speed that was, as he may intend to run slower or faster...
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

captainmaniac wrote:
Big D wrote:I personally think a stern thruster is better than a bow unit, after all, we steer by shifting the position at the stern not the bow.
Yes, but the main point (I think) is that a lot of people want or need bow thrusters because they think they can drive a boat like a car, and steer from the front. When the bow doesn't just go where they turn the wheel, they think they need help to push it (instead of learning the dynamics of the boat and working with that).
I think the point of the bow thruster is being missed here. Using it while cruising doesn't make any sense. That's what the rudder is for. Now picture this single screw boat sitting in a crowded marina with no forward motion. A twin screw boat can spin either direction on a dime. A single screw boat can only do this in one direction. Now put this boat in reverse backing into a slip with a stiff cross wind. It can be difficult to put the bow where you need it to be. A bow thruster can help put the bow where it needs to be just as easily as a twin screw boat can touch one of the engines in and out of forward to achieve the same result.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it can't be done without a thruster, it would just make it easier sometimes. Kinda like you guys with Auto Helm, you can steer a compass course all day long but it sure is nice to let the electronics take over once in a while.

It took me lots of practice to learn how to maneuver a single inboard in a confined area. The key is to plan several moves ahead and use inertia, momentum, wind and prop walk to your advantage. Thinking about how you will leave a slip is as important as how you will dock there.

Oh and by the way, I would consider installing an Auto Helm long before I'd install a bow thruster. :D
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

AW gee Paul, even my wife gives me credit for half a wit!!! Of course it is not for while underway. But rscolino asked about the running attitude on the F26 and what better way than a vid?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

alexander38 wrote:Your a PITA too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know but I do get the job done! The 25yrs I hauled sheetrock/joint compound they didn't call me 'AGITATER' for nothing!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Back to answering the original question, good job Foofer. My intent is merely to help the twin screw guys understand value a bow thruster can add to operating a single screw. Especially if they haven't yet mastered handling without. :wink:
Paul
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Allen the PITA was for King Dude Pauly, I'll pass judgement on you in July :lol: :lol: And here's a question for you single screw guys . Wouldn't a rear thruster be of more use to you backing in ?

And I know I'm a PITA. :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Pita here , If a thruster makes boating better for you go for it . If I go for a single screw trawler I very well may get a bow thruster ( I feel a bow truster is more useful then a stern one)

I used to have 40 ft single and ran a 55 foot single with no thruster and no issues , But one sure would have made life easier.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

alexander38 wrote: And here's a question for you single screw guys . Wouldn't a rear thruster be of more use to you backing in ?

And I know I'm a PITA. :wink:

Maybe a stern thruster is the way to go. Then I could at least back up straight and not to starboard.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

That's why I asked .seems to me you would need something to help keep your a$$ lined up, and seems a lot less work and cost to install.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

:D
Last edited by Paul on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

foofer b wrote:Maybe a stern thruster is the way to go. Then I could at least back up straight and not to starboard.
The stern walks to one side due to prop walk - when the prop is spinning it tries to pull you. If it is not spinning, there is no pull. If you have enough speed in reverse, the water flow past your rudder can overcome the forces of the prop walk.

Here's something to try :
1. turn the wheel hard over to fight the prop walk
2. shift in to reverse, and goose the throttle a bit
3. the boat will start pulling as normal, but will also start accelerating in reverse
4. reduce throttle, shift to neutral, and let your momentum carry you
5. if you have enough reverse speed, the water flow may be enough to counter the sidways pull and you might go straight back or a bit to the opposite side
6. as you slow down a bit, hit reverse and goose the throttle again for a couple of seconds, then back to neutral, and repeat...

This technique used to work on my father's old 1969 28' Sea Skiff with a single Chrysler 383.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I had a 34' single diesel tralwer for the past 14 years, Captian Maniac is right on about prop walk, especially in reverse.
take the boat to a low use public dock and practice, I found that I used the gears and throttle and could put the boat just about anywhere single handed, as long as it was to starboard. If I had to make a portside dock with cross wind, I could cut holes in the helm seat with my rearend!

the boat backed to starboard and and a little throttle and a back and fill technique you can turn them on a dime, it takes more work but learn the boat and its charicteristics and you'll love it, and , when it comes time for maintenance, theres only one set if filters, plugs, manifolds, one oil change, one transmission ....and i say this on the positive
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Both gettaway and captainmaniac are both correct regarding prop walk on a single screw. Also if you need to move the stern, a short burst in forward gear with the rudder in the direction you intend to go in will move it. The key is to shift back into neutral before you gain forward momentum. It takes lots of practice but docking a single screw is very rewarding when you can get into and out of some tight places. Though a bow thruster would be nice for that last second gust of wind.

Foofer, nice video! Boat looks great!
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

I'll tell ya all this,,,,I have a F25 and the worst thing that scares me most is getting BACK into the slip, so I hesitate to even go out. I want to enjoy my boat, and if I had the money to buy a bow thruster,,,,,I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I know a lot of the puritans out there want to do it the hard way,,,,but anything that would help me enjoy my boat more is OK by me. After all for me the enjoyment of getting out and enjoying the boat is what it's all about!

I have made up my mind that this spring/summer,,I'm going to learn, to get back into the slip or tear the heck out of my boat, the dock, or what ever, doing it, but get out on the water!!!

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo