F26 Bow thruster

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rsciolino

F26 Bow thruster

Post by rsciolino »

I will be starting another rescued Trojan project, a 1978 F26 F/B. The boat is being completely gutted, so i have the ability to add whatever i want with out too much trouble. One of the upgrades i was considering is a bow thruster, and since the boat is not in the water, i am unable to check the front waterline in both docked and at plane. could anyone that has done this on an F26 give me some insight as to were exactly on the bow it was mounted? Also what model did you use?

Thanks!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I doubt you will find a 26 foot boat with a bow thruster. :shock:
Assuming it is a single engine, certainly not needed on a small twin engine boat, I can't see it being of any real help. It could even make things worse.

Save the money and find someone to teach you the skill of handling a single..... it will have way more benefit to your ongoing boating than will a thruster.

When on plane I think you will find that the forward 3 foot of the bow is out of the water.
If you really want one on a boat that small an aft end location makes more sense :!:
You have considered the size of dedicated battery you will need to run it? How you will ensure the battery charged for return to slip, etc?

Do you have a generator?
Now that is a sensible upgrade :!:
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I Don't think you will find many F26s with bow trusters . ( not really needed) One to to fit your boat will run $2000 -2500. plus all related parts for install.( lot of glass work) figure 3 grand or more of course it must be below the water line at rest . On plane I don't think its a issue .
Most company's have guide lines as to installing them the Vetus 35 I believe is a good size for your boat .

http://www.navstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1728

I do agree with ready123 , with the exception of keeping the battery charge as you will only being it for a minute or so ( you will need a large capacity battery of course)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I agree with all above - F26 seems a little small for a bow thruster.

Before I bought my Tri-cabin, I had a 26' Bayliner Express Cruiser with a single engine. With the Bimini top up and side curtains down it did present some challenges in high winds trying to dock the boat with the top acting as a large sail. I did, as was suggested above, and got some instruction in handling the boat and it paid off tremendously.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:I do agree with ready123 , with the exception of keeping the battery charge as you will only being it for a minute or so ( you will need a large capacity battery of course)
Here is the reasoning behind my charge concern..... If one feels the need for a thruster on a 26 footer the chances are it will be used excessively not normally for just a minute or two :wink:

I always smile at the 36' Carvers in my marina docking with thrusters... when there is easy slip access and no wind..... once one has them it seems captain's throw out the need for any skill. I find them really noisy too :evil:
I agree they are nice to put a big boat into a small gap on the dock... I enjoyed watching a guy with his handheld remote docking his 65' in Little Current walking along his side deck back to the swim platform and giving directions to the dock hands to handle his lines.... seems his crew/guests were all below enjoying themselves.... I don't think he ever got his hands dirty!

These pod drives with joysticks are also creating a group of users that lack the understanding of boat handling..... which in my mind will come back to bite them one day :!:
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Some very good points , I have to agree
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I agree with the majority of the above - you really shouldn't need a thruster; practice basic boat handling and you will find you can get by without it (I did with my father's single engine 28' 1969 woodie and you learn the dynamics after a while); plus the 26 isn't that heavy of a boat so can be reasonably manhandled if needed (just keep the speed down).

But, if you do go ahead with the thruster there is a brand that I have seen used a few times recently that greatly reduce installation cost and risk... Sideshift is essentially a bolt-on thruster http://www.sideshift.com/ . Looks like crap having this thing hanging off your bow (submerged at low speed, above water at high speeds (and getting whacked whenever you hit big enough waves), but may be an option for you. I have seen this in use on a 36 Trojan Sedan (1967 vintage -- devalued the boat in my opinion), and a 42 Silverton.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It cost more but will cut down on the install costs . Sure looks bad
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Audrey II
Sporadic User

Post by Audrey II »

I have to agree that there is no need for a thruster on a 26'. I have a 44' pushing 15 tons and I rarely find a time that I wish I had a thruster however there have been a few times such as strong winds and tight docks that it would have come in handy. If money is no object then I guess it won't hurt but I think you would be better served by learning to handle the boat without the aid, if and when it fails you will be much better prepared to deal with a difficult situation. If you don't know what to do with all your money you can send me some:)
1996 Trojan 440
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:It cost more but will cut down on the install costs . Sure looks bad
Plus you are only drilling holes for bolts and wiring --- no 6" tunnel through the hull --- and you also don't lose the space under the v-berth that the tunnel would eat up.
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

I grew up on the water and worked in a marina from age 14 until I went in the Navy after high school. None of the boats I ever worked on had Thrusters on them. I had to learn how to handle the boats as they were. Sometimes twin screws with an engine out of commision. No joysticks, thrusters, or help, just plain old fashioned experience and know how. (That was learned over time) A lot of people I see out here on the bay have more money than they got sense and have NO business being out here at all. Give you an example, one time had the family out on our 19footer about 20yrs ago coming into the channel off the bay its a six knot zone thru the channel about half way in a 40some footer aft cabin comes barreling down on me doing every bit of 16-18knots and about ran me over never slowed down if I had not manuevered out of his way he would of went over top of us. Once out of the channel into the creek he had NO regard for anyone's safety even his own. DNR and the CG didn't want to hear anything about it when they were contacted. Things keep going the way they are there's going to be a skill's test involved to get a boating license. And I for one will support it!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Ready123 I agree I see no need for a mixer on a 36' boat, And why's it always have to be a Carver :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I got a guy next to me that has a Chris Craft Catalina that has one, He wonder's why no one comes and helps him when he pulls in (the 2 times he got underway this season) We just him with all that gear he's got we'd hate to see it go to waste.. :lol:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Allen Sr wrote: Things keep going the way they are there's going to be a skill's test involved to get a boating license. And I for one will support it!
We already have licensing up here... but it is only a basic knowledge test. Doesn't really help though, as most people who take it are just trying to get the piece of paper - they don't really seem to care about learning anything because - of course - "I got a bote 15 years ago and aint nobody gonna tell me I dont now howe ta drive it" (spelling mistakes intentional...) These are the guys that have 2-speed boats ... 1) stationary, and 2) flat out (in either forward or reverse), whether in open water or traveling through the marina.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.... Tools to help improve the boating experience are not a bad thing, as long as you have the basic, fundamental underlying skills there to deal with things when the tools don't work. Applies to thrusters, GPS, Radar, AutoPilot, the new pod drives and 'SkyHook', and a bunch of other stuff. The water can be nasty, and so can winds, waves and currents in docking situations, electronics can fail, and GPS can throw you a wonky signal .... It is important to be smart about things and learn the basics so you can be more confident and comfortable, and then embellish with the toys, but don't trust them implicitly.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

We're getting there Va. is fazing it slowing with age time lines..
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

alexander38 wrote:We're getting there Va. is fazing it slowing with age time lines..
Tony, is it just a basic knowledge or skills test to? I know a while back in another post there was discussion about it and a link to it. IMO if its just basic knowledge thats really no good, (better than nothing I guess). How many times have you seen people educated way beyond their intelligence just bang the s<#& out of their boat, the dock, and other peoples boats just to get in or out of their slip? And just didn't care? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015