Bimini Boat Top

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Bimini Boat Top

Post by larglo »

Hi all,

If I were to buy a Bimini Boat Top, just how would I install it. On my son's pontoon, the top folds back, but on our F25, I would like for it to fold forward so as to be out of the way. Can this be done? Install it backwards?
I was thinking about making my own top, but couldn't figure out how to get it to fold back.

As you all should know the stern on a Trojan is different than a regular runabout, ain't it? Also,,,how would the frame effect getting in or out of the boat. I know it would have to be folded in order to do so, but the position of where the frame attachés to the sides of the boat, it could still be in the way?

I guess, I would like to get suggestions from you all about the why's and wherefores of installing a Bimini top to our boat.

I was looking at this one.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ZNAT-64022/

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Larglo.... I've purchased bimini's off of ' I Boats ' with good results. I looked up the same size you want and it's cheaper.. $317 for an ' Auqa Shield ' top with a 5 yr. warranty and it comes with a free storage boot. To answer your other questions, you might want to purchase the optional ' struts' they will hold up the top when you fold it up, this way it's not laying on the gunwales in your way, and it does not matter if you fold it forward or backwards. Good Luck !
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

I just looked at Iboats, and found nothing about the name you mentioned, price, or struts, you mentioned. Could you do a copy paste of the web page for it, in a reply.

Thanks.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

How my father's used to be set up was that the base of the side frames fit in to tracks on the inside edge of the cockpit coaming. When you want to drop the cover you fold the frames together, remove or wrap the cover around them (like on a normal Bimini), then pull a couple of pins at the bases of the framing and slide the bases forward in the tracks.

The whole frame would then lay down aft, and lay flat against the bases of the aft railing.
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

http://biminitops.iboats.com/Bimini_Top ... =915224755.

This should bring you right to the page.
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

YOU hav a hard top and want to add bemmi top ??
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

I think he means " cockpit enclosure" or "camper back". A "bimini" would go on a bridge or over an open helm. They usually will fold either direction.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Larglo, Walk the docks and look at the different styles and types and ask boat owners what they think of there tops. Boaters always like to talk about there boat.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Larglo,

I had a canvas shop amke me one custom fit for my boat. It is made of sunbrella, has six four headroom, zips into the hardtop, with snaps at each end and came with a matching custom boot. I too wanted to store it out of the way when we did not need it, but I did not want to lug it around. The solution is pictured below- sorry I can't find one with it up- let me know and I will take a few more shots for you. Roy

MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Here is a side shot of my folks setup on their old '69... you can see the enclosure runs aft from the back of the hardtop, then down. Ignore the crazy lady in the purple top (my mother... and WATCH what you say or I will hunt you down!!!).

There were side panels and an aft panel (all with eisenglass) that could be removed.

You can see the part of the frame that comes all the way down - the end of this sits in the track that I mentioned previously. Slide the base forward, and all the framing will tuck away under the aft rail. Having said that, once the cover was installed, I think it was only ever taken down twice.

98a9f65b.jpg
98a9f65b.jpg (70.82 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

You guys with those fishing boats are going to cover the backs of them up and the .next thing you you'll be trying to put in aft cabins. :D :arrow:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

Thanks to all,

Lawman, thanks, I found it and have it bookmarked. This does look like the one I like. I need to double check on the height, I choose 60" to get good headroom

foofer, your's is very interesting and would like to see more close up pic's, if you have them. E mail them to me if you can.

Capt, your mom looks like a great lady! I think they call their type of top a "buggy" type, has same shape as my son's top on his pontoon. But I just can't picture the channel thing your talking about and how it could be made?

We do want to do some fishing, so thinking a top it will get in the way. I'm also not fond of how it would look in the down position. If I could lean it up against the hardtop, that maybe OK?

But, it does get hot in the summer, so I'm still thinking about all this.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac is that a Owens ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:captainmaniac is that a Owens ?
Blasphemer!!! And you just lost the title of "King Paul"... That is a 1969 Trojan Sea Skiff (28' version). I think the pic was taken in 1999 or 2000.
larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

I thought it was a Trojan because it looked a lot like the Trojan used in the Sea Hunt TV series years ago, except not having the flybridge.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN