Help with windless anchoring - 10 Meter International

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhalb
Moderate User

Help with windless anchoring - 10 Meter International

Post by jhalb »

This was my first time using a windless. First of all it was very windy and the river was raging but I tried it out anyway. Setting the anchor went OK but when I was ready to reel it in I couldn't tell what was going on. I put the boat in forward to go toward the anchor. I couldn't see where rode was untill the boat turned 90 degrees. When the achor was finnally up I noticed the shank was bent about 15 degrees. ( #16 galvanized fluke) Any tips?
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Though it's good to power up towards your anchor while your windlass is pulling in the rode, you need to be careful not to over run it. You really just want to bump the boat in and out of gear to get some forward motion then let the windlass keep a little tension in the rope as it comes in. Remember that your boat in gear moves forward much more quickly than the windlass can pull the rode in.

The reason your boat turned 90° is because you passed your anchor before it was pulled free from the bottom and it put the brakes on for you, big time if it bent your anchor. Been there, done that. :lol:

Hope this helps,
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB