Pulled the fuel tanks out today.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Sea Ya

Pulled the fuel tanks out today.

Post by Sea Ya »

Pulled em. Redoing floor so no problem there. These are the original 1971 tanks. Outsides are nice insides have a bit of rustI need to get them cleaned out somewhere. Not sure where in Tampa Florida area. Here are some pics, O look at the first one. The builders put a loop of Nylon rope in. Around the stringer. Maybe to lower or for good luck? Only on port side.
72 Cutlass Jet 460 Ford (LIKWIDSUKR)
71 TroJan F26 300Hp 351Windsor ( SEA YA )

JuiceClark
Moderate User

heavy

Post by JuiceClark »

I remember those two tanks under the cockpit like it was yesterday. They were SO heavy...almost killed 4 of us. Actually, the saddle tanks in the engine compartment almost killed us...these small ones just gave us all hernias.

I had a local welder make a single, aluminum tank to replace all four tanks that were in my F-36. The boat floated like an inch higher after that project...bet we lost 1000 pounds. Replacing the 440s with 454s prolly' lost and 600 pounds and throwing the old Onan generator away and it's little tanks had to be at least another 1000 pounds. Boat got so light I thought it may start to levitate.

Tony in Fort Myers
Sea Ya

Re: heavy

Post by Sea Ya »

JuiceClark wrote:I remember those two tanks under the cockpit like it was yesterday. They were SO heavy...almost killed 4 of us. Actually, the saddle tanks in the engine compartment almost killed us...these small ones just gave us all hernias.

I had a local welder make a single, aluminum tank to replace all four tanks that were in my F-36. The boat floated like an inch higher after that project...bet we lost 1000 pounds. Replacing the 440s with 454s prolly' lost and 600 pounds and throwing the old Onan generator away and it's little tanks had to be at least another 1000 pounds. Boat got so light I thought it may start to levitate.

Tony in Fort Myers
No doubt they were heavy. I pulled them out by myself up and out then off the boat alone both of them.

JuiceClark
Moderate User

pictures

Post by JuiceClark »

While you're at it, I'd really like to see a pic of that jet-boat too. I'm down here right at the mouth of the river in Ft Myers. If I take a left I'm out in the gulf. If I take a right, I can take the river all the way to Palm Beach...was thinkin' about using all these old 454 parts to make a jet boat.
Thanks, Tony
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

I pulled my fuel tank two years ago, had it cleaned pressure tested and coated. If you are looking for a shop that does this type of work-look for shops in your area that recondition radiators-generally they also do gas tanks.
Sea Ya

Post by Sea Ya »

chumwithabottleofrum wrote:I pulled my fuel tank two years ago, had it cleaned pressure tested and coated. If you are looking for a shop that does this type of work-look for shops in your area that recondition radiators-generally they also do gas tanks.
Do you remember a round about cost for this?

chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

I'm having trouble remembering, but I want to say around $185-it was considerably less than a new tank.
Sea Ya

Post by Sea Ya »

chumwithabottleofrum wrote:I'm having trouble remembering, but I want to say around $185-it was considerably less than a new tank.
Gotcha seems right. I might do it myself. Either citric acid or muritic acid then coat with kreem or red coat.

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Replace the tanks coatings may not hold up . worked so so before and with the new fuel , who knows, I have read smoe bad reports I would not do it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Sea Ya

Post by Sea Ya »

prowlersfish wrote:Replace the tanks coatings may not hold up . worked so so before and with the new fuel , who knows, I have read smoe bad reports I would not do it .
Thanks for the feed back for sure.

etpence

Post by etpence »

those are the org galvanized tanks is your in salt water change um for alum. I just changed both for 900.00 they were 80gal apeice
mine looked good on the outside but after internal inspection found bad pitting on the inside
if your pulling them out your better off upgrading for less future problems
Todd 30' trojan MioMio
rossjo
Ultimate User

SS!

Post by rossjo »

Stainless tanks are nice! I have 1 on my Stbd side. No corrosion and looks great!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Sea Ya

Re: SS!

Post by Sea Ya »

rossjo wrote:Stainless tanks are nice! I have 1 on my Stbd side. No corrosion and looks great!
Im sure they are for a price :)

rossjo
Ultimate User

But

Post by rossjo »

But .. if you plan to keep your boat a few years - and make long trips (as in 50-75 mile offshore), the Stainless pays for itself in longevity and peace of mind.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17