shorepower - panel indicator lights

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

shorepower - panel indicator lights

Post by BobCT »

You guys that have International's with the shorepower lights.... do they work?

Mine have never come on in three years except for one marina which I've traveled to twice. The voltage was about 125v and the outer two lights were blinking on each side of the panel.

If I understand the diagram correctly, they should always be lit. Other than the marina mentioned above, none of mine ever light up. Are they replaceable bulbs?

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
S.A.M.
Moderate User

Post by S.A.M. »

Bob

Mine work intermittently. I don't know if they're LED or bulbs. Could be lose wiring. An employee of mine alway says "85% of all electrical problems is due to a lose connection".

My previous boats had the same problem.

Let me know what you find out.
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin
Rnd

Post by Rnd »

Mine are the same way. Meter reads voltage but the lights flicker or don't light at all. I'M always at the same marina and slip, but the lights are still intermittant.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

with the age of our boats, I would highly doubt they are LED, so it is probably corroded or loose bulbs and or connectors
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I was thinking the same... did they use LED's in the late 80's?

I know the existed but don't think they were widely used. I'll check it out, if bulbs that's easy enough.
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Russian Oleg Vladimirovich Losev reported on the creation of a first LED in 1927 .

But were not put to much use until 1961 , but very costly , the cheap LEDs came out in the late 60s early 70s suitable for indicator lights . ( not lighting) and of course in recent years used for lighting and getting better all the time

so yes I asume there LEDs
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about neon indicator lamps that were widely used in many industries, and in some applications still are. Pretty typical for them to flicker and dim over time but lasted longer than incandecent lamps. You can still find them at good electronics suppliers or retrofit with LED or incandecent indicator lights. The LEDs will last longer, be cooler, and use less energy.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

My 10 meter is the same, lights flicker or nothing lights. Yes they are neon lights. Looking at converting to LED over the winter months. And yes I have checked and cleaned connections with the same results. Already changed one of the voltmeters as it buzzed and stopped reading. Used one made by Blue Seas.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Dennis,

Let me know what LEDS's you wind up doing and I'll do the same if I get to it before you.

Now on my winter list too.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

ahhh yes, the polarity indicator lamps for these boats do go bad over time. they are neon bulbs and after a while they just stop working. i'm assuming the ones you are speaking of say OPEN GROUND // OPEN NEUTRAL // ETC.... this drove me crazy when i bought the tri cabin last year. both sides of my panel have only one light that works. i actually had a marine electrician trace this, and he said everything was working but the lights burn out after decades of use. sea ray used these modules too... they are the ALCO GT-33, which of course, are no longer made. HOWEVER, i've discovered a direct replacement for them, but, the footprint is smaller and some form of frame/plate will have to be custom made to fit the new indicator lamps, and cover over the old indicator codes. the DIRECT replacement for the alco is made by SOLICO. it is the 34 SERIES, but make sure you get the ones with the wire leads. the replacement has two indicator lights, green for normal, red for reverse polarity. here is a website that lets you see what i'm talking about. i plan on doing this retrofit sometime late fall as i've already purchased the lights. when you do the rewire, make sure the green is to your left so that the orientation is the same and make each wire connection match exactly what you removed from the old indicator lamp. if that makes any sense.
hope this helps.

http://www.cmsquick.com/prod_11_LED_RET.html

''space dock this is enterprise, at your control.''

"affirmative enterprise, enjoy the ride, and welcome home"

''enterprise confirms''
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com