Is the Hardtop strong enough to stand on?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vabeach1234
Moderate User

Is the Hardtop strong enough to stand on?

Post by vabeach1234 »

I have a 1972 F26 Hardtop Express. The hardtop is supported by the windshield frame and two support poles aft on either side.

Was the hardtop designed to stand on? I know there are Flybridge versions of this boat but was the hardtop itself and support designed differently. I weight 215 lbs and don't want to test it. I have too many other things that need fixed, I don't want to redo a hardtop or windshield too.

Thanks.

Ken
Paula Sea
Norfolk, VA[/img]
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Ken-I passed the 215 mark some time ago-I have stood on my hardtop but only to work on the light and to wax the top-being careful during the process it will support the weight but I don't think I do it on a regular basis.
Sea Ya

Post by Sea Ya »

chumwithabottleofrum wrote:Ken-I passed the 215 mark some time ago-I have stood on my hardtop but only to work on the light and to wax the top-being careful during the process it will support the weight but I don't think I do it on a regular basis.
Im at 190 lbs. Mine is a 71 F26. It will hold but it will damage the core material. It might of been designed 30+ years ago to walk on but I am not going to push it. Mine makes a crunching sound. With the cost of replacing it I say NO WAY.
72 Cutlass Jet 460 Ford (LIKWIDSUKR)
71 TroJan F26 300Hp 351Windsor ( SEA YA )

randyp
Active User

Hardtop

Post by randyp »

I go 215 also and have stood on the hardtop of my 77 F-26 many times. I did notice that one of the seam welds on the stbd window had cracked, however, so I agree....it's not meant to support us "Clydesdales"
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. It sure would have been nice to be able to stand up there and spot for cobia or spades.

Ken
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Install a tower with controls.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB