Engine Synchronizer

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am a yahoo and proud of it ! I will use the throttles if needed to dock ( almost always with a gas boat) . but remember around here we back in to slips with a current or tide running . so we have to spin the boat around 90 to 180 deg and some throttle can be helpful . A lot different then pulling bow in . I would never pull bow in at 5 knots ( back in maybe :wink: )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I wasn't talking about you Paul. AFAIK you have never crashed into any dock I have ever been on. Besides, I would never lump you in with the 'yahoos'. They might take offense. :twisted:

We also park stern in. I do it here at the house, and most of the bigger marinas here are set up this way too. http://www.hbyc.com/

BTW there are 2 F boats for sale at that marina. One is a 36 and one is a 32. I looked at them both before I bought Nancys boat. The 36 was overpriced and the seller wouldn't negotiate, and the 32 was inexpensive, but not my cup of tea. (It was a putty colored 1987). I'll post the link in a new thread. Somebody should make a home for the 32.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I would never call someone a yahoo because they are using the throttles to move a boat into a slip/dock. There is no reason to be afraid of using power to put the boat where it needs to go. Many many times I've had to get the turbos going on a boat just to slowly move toward the dock.

I would call someone a yahoo if-

1. they steam toward the dock and go all back to stop the boat just in time when it's really not needed.

2. They start the docking by yelling "hang on"

3. Their use of the controls makes everyone onboard lurch foward then backward a number of times

4. They are yelling at the wife because she can't get a line on the piling while the boat is going 5 ft forward and backward all the time.

5. They tell the wife "whatever happens do not let go of that piling" and then leave her there hanging on it while they come around again.

6. At the end of every docking they make the statement "that's what insurance is for"
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

You missed one : They put the safety of those on the dock who attempt to help them at severe risk by their reckless, arbitrary, and unpredictable actions.

I have walked away from helping a few guys because it was just too dangerous to do so.
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

captainmaniac wrote:You missed one : They put the safety of those on the dock who attempt to help them at severe risk by their reckless, arbitrary, and unpredictable actions.

I have walked away from helping a few guys because it was just too dangerous to do so.
good point-

I would call someone a yahoo if-

7. Everyone on the dock starts to run when they are pulling in
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

summer storm wrote:7. Everyone on the dock starts to run when they are pulling in
Sometimes they don't run, but when there is a chorus of "oh crap, here we go again".... that'ts a pretty good clue to what's going to happen.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am still a yahoo

"2. They start the docking by yelling "hang on" "

I will tell someone to hold on as the boat will jump when put in gear

3. "Their use of the controls makes everyone onboard lurch foward then backward a number of times . "

See # 2

I am a Yahoo and my diesels help :D

"5. They tell the wife "whatever happens do not let go of that piling" and then leave her there hanging on it while they come around again."

Now that sounds like fun :twisted:

And yes I am having some fun here
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Those are funny, and so true. :D

Like a public ramp after July 4th fireworks are over. :wink:
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

An experienced marine captain/helmsman of small boats does not need anyone to man the dock if done correctly, given our boats small size. Manning the lines and dock is asking someone to get hurt, especially if a "Yahoo is running the boat" :P It has been my experience that the line handlers try to be too helpful and can get in the way. Unless properly trained.
I have seen them stick their shoe (with foot inside) between the dock and a 13,000 lb boat. No foot is worth saving a ding on a boat.

Nuff said.

Good luck Barry with the rpm issues.
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Yachtsman

"Noun 1. yachtsman - a person who owns or sails a yacht "

There are boaters and there are boat owners .anyone can be a owner but not everyone is a boater . Guess the same goes for yachts :wink:

And there is us Yahoos :mrgreen:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

prowlersfish wrote:Yachtsman

"Noun 1. yachtsman - a person who owns or sails a yacht "

There are boaters and there are boat owners .anyone can be a owner but not everyone is a boater . Guess the same goes for yachts :wink:

And there is us Yahoos :mrgreen:
DITTO! :wink: Like the guy that rents the slip next to me! His gf is new to boating and he about throws her off the boat putting it in gear. The boat idles at about 1,000rpms and when he puts it in gear it goes even higher. (All the adjustments are wrong on it and he won't repair it!) He has almost hit my boat numerous times when he does............... not sure what I will do, but it won't be pretty! Then we have another owner that lets his young kids run all over the bow while underway, they average 3 to 9 yrs old! Enough ranting! :x
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Well, I started this topic that has gotten so out of control, here's my 2c to its latest direction.

Since I consider myself a definite novice with a F28, have enough issues with the boat to keep it in its slip until all systems are functional and dependable, have one engine that idles at 750 and the other struggles to stay below 1100 and I have enough sense to try to fix my rpm problem....before.........I try to take it out for a "ride" and possibly cause damage or injury to anyone or property...........................am I a good yahoo or a bad yahoo........:-)) :wink:

BTW, I still can't find why the one engine won't idle down........even when backing off the adjustment. This was the original thought of synchronizer to attempt to go fwd straight at idle. And it starts very hard too. Gotta be an air leak
1978 F-28
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

You are probably aware of intake vacuum leak will cause high idle. Have you rebuilt the carbs yet. Mine were gunked up and kits are available to rebuild. Hope your carbies have the red tag on them so you can get the correct model number and kit if you have not yet done so.
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BMILLER wrote:Well, I started this topic that has gotten so out of control, here's my 2c to its latest direction.

Since I consider myself a definite novice with a F28, have enough issues with the boat to keep it in its slip until all systems are functional and dependable, have one engine that idles at 750 and the other struggles to stay below 1100 and I have enough sense to try to fix my rpm problem....before.........I try to take it out for a "ride" and possibly cause damage or injury to anyone or property...........................am I a good yahoo or a bad yahoo........:-)) :wink:

BTW, I still can't find why the one engine won't idle down........even when backing off the adjustment. This was the original thought of synchronizer to attempt to go fwd straight at idle. And it starts very hard too. Gotta be an air leak
Check to make sure the secondaries are closing all the way they could be just cracked open, also Check the fast idel cam for the choke could be sticking also . pretty common problems
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

I've tried my very soapy water method to try to fnd the leak...........nada? The PO, according to the service records last year had the carb in mention rebuilt for a tidy sum of over $600. He could have bought a Edlebrock (or 2) had he shopped around a bit. Before I dump a bunch of $$ into the OEMs, I'll save up and get the 1409s. I'll use come choke cleaner on that cam and check to make certain it has no burrs or rough spots and look down to see the secondaries are closed. The PO hadn't moved this boat more than a mile from its slip (only to a party island and back) in 6 yrs. But he did have a lot of engine issues...probably from sitting and never really getting up to temp and blowing out all the carbon buidup. He told me he never and for me to never exceed 2400 rpm. The saga continues to build. :D
1978 F-28