Eliminating the head...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Head-stay or go?

Stay
70%
Go
4%
This is a crappy poll
26%

Total votes: 27

Skargo

Eliminating the head...

Post by Skargo »

I have water damage to the head wall on my F30. I'm thinking of removing the head entirely, and stowing a portapot. The marina where our slip is has very nice bathrooms and showers, just a little walk. Will I regret not having a head? It will be in the slip 99% of the time.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

NO Head

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

do you have a wife? do you drink beer? enough said
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i think you would regret getting rid of it altogether.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Skargo

Post by Skargo »

The wife can walk to the nice facilities I mentioned, OR use a stowed porta potty.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I am in the same position, but my wife is a hardcore fisher, even in the winter, so the potty room has to stay, just having a potty in the boat maybe a lil weird to some
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

As long as you can get the boat to a pump out when needed let it stay . if stays in the slip 99% of the time because it can't leave then a portapot maybe a good choice . But I would still put it in the same place and repair the water damage
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

I removed mine due to it was pillaged from the po. I made a platform from sanded 1/2" cdx and covered it in formica. plan to just utilize a porta potti. were waste deep in the water all summer anyway :wink:
myakka

Post by myakka »

I've had both. A porta potty is a PITA. Come up with a plan for a head, holding tank, and macerator configuration that is easy and as clean as possible to fix. For example put valves for and aft of your macerator(because it will break first).
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You're really limiting your market if you ever plan on selling her later. Check your local bylaws too; if you decide to go anchor out for the day and plan on having alcohol on board, some duristictions may require FIXED/built-in cooking and head facilities.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

If you plan on spending all your time at the dock, AND if you don't overnight, then go for it.

BUT....

I learned pretty quickly on my old 26 Liberator that the porta-potty is convenient, but a ROYAL pain if you need to do 'something' at 4AM and don't wanna go for a walk down the docks in your skivvies.

Pulling it out, telling the spouse or other aboard not to look, using it, re-stowing, then lugging it down the dock to empty a day or two later was not fun. The wife reeeeeeaaaallllyyyy wasn't too impressed either - especially when she had to use it.

If you are out on the water have to go #1, its also not a big deal without a head or portapotty. But women seem to have this thing about going #1 over the side, or #2 anywhere, without access to porcelain, a half roll of TP, 5 gallons of water for flushing, and 10 more gallons to wash their hands afterwards...

so...

pick your pain.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I would be concerned about resale value without it.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

captainmaniac wrote:If you plan on spending all your time at the dock, AND if you don't overnight, then go for it.

BUT....

I learned pretty quickly on my old 26 Liberator that the porta-potty is convenient, but a ROYAL pain if you need to do 'something' at 4AM and don't wanna go for a walk down the docks in your skivvies.

Pulling it out, telling the spouse or other aboard not to look, using it, re-stowing, then lugging it down the dock to empty a day or two later was not fun. The wife reeeeeeaaaallllyyyy wasn't too impressed either - especially when she had to use it.

If you are out on the water have to go #1, its also not a big deal without a head or portapotty. But women seem to have this thing about going #1 over the side, or #2 anywhere, without access to porcelain, a half roll of TP, 5 gallons of water for flushing, and 10 more gallons to wash their hands afterwards...

so...

pick your pain.
oh my god, i know you are very serious on your post, but it really made me laugh out loud. you are spot on. (pun intended)
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Personally, I couldn't do without head.

for me it's an important feature on the boat.

of course if you are at the dock, you can do it anywhere.

but for me,

i really would not want to go without it.

if you are anchored out, it's better as no one at the dock will hear any noises.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

The question that hasn't been asked is........... what's wrong with the head?? Is this a situation whereby the entire head system is crapped out ?? (pun intended) If not, and you just need to fix a leak then I would def keep it for all the reasons mentioned before especialy re-sale. But if it's going to cost big $$$ then I could understand going with potty.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

captainmaniac wrote:
If you are out on the water have to go #1, its also not a big deal without a head or portapotty. .
Not to mention the USCG large results of finding drowning victims (male) with their zippers down
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/