Installing a new floor

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

chas1450

Installing a new floor

Post by chas1450 »

We live aboard our F40 aft cabin and our carpet is past its retirement age. She wants something like a hardwood flooring, or like teak and holly, has anyone replace their carpeting, what did you use, thank you
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Was just at the boat show and saw a lot of people looking at that new material that looks and feels like teak and or other wood, but it's actually an easy install material like laminate, not sure what it really is cause I wasn't interested but later on in the day I saw samples at west marine, it's thicker than laminate flooring but looks simple and really does look and feelnlike teak wood.mi saw a few new boats with it today to, saw one swim deck that looked like real wood but it was this material. Unweatherable, easy wash down... Kinda neat the closer I looked. Beats having to lay a reall wood floor. Just thought I'd tell ya what I came across today since I just so happen to hit the mid-Atlantic boat show then go shopping
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Both Alexander38 (Tony) and I have done it in our boats.
More to follow...
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Stripermann2 wrote:Both Alexander38 (Tony) and I have done it in our boats.
More to follow...
done the new material?
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

This is 1/4" Teak & Holy ply wood. Its finished in Sikkens Celol. The wood is available in varying thicknesses.

Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Yep that's what I saw today, they even had colors like greys and whites and blues. Even felt good. Not a big fan of the stripes though and it's in every one of them or at least I didn't see and solids
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Paul, is that your cabin? I am in the middle of installing a teak and holly ply floor and was wondering if you glued or screwed it down?
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

That's my cabin. Under the dinette the 1/4" Teak & Holy plywood is glued down to the existing floor. In the walkway, its glued down to a single piece of 3/4" marine ply. Then the whole thing is screwed in around the outside edges. The screws are then hidden with 3/4" round moldings. This way I can still remove it to access the bilge.

The glue I believe was PL2000 from HD. Clamped it all down tight during the curing process.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

chas1450, you are likely referring to NUTEAK or PLASTEAK. Both of these products are available in interior and exterior material. It is NOT an easy do it yourself project, in my opinion. Each piece is cut and clued with a special technique for the border. The cost to.do my F36 tri cabin throughout is around 8K. It is nice stuff though. Several boat manufactures are using it. jimbo36
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

from what i saw today, because now we are aruguing over keeping the teak look vrs the grey and white an black. lol/ thanks for the pics btw... it is beutiful no doubt... i would deff glue. im thinking of doing a water fill test to see if the bildge pump can be moved up 2 feet and still be safe. im in a position to do this so... acuaully since im moving the bilge pump up 2 feet for a test and its the free pump i got with the boat, im going to modify the screen to fit flush with the haul. we will see if i can move access panel to under the bunk and put a primary further back that can be trusted and sealed like yours. so just incase i wont have to pull trim to get main pump. am i making sence? 2 pumps 2 feet from each other, just for easy service if need be?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

2 pumps one in bow and one in stern.
When underway the bow pump will do nothing and opposite when docked.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

that i agree, im just learning cause im watching rain water since im new and blocked up. my boat has 3, one is next to motor, why i dont know
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

chas1450, you are likely referring to NUTEAK or PLASTEAK. Both of these products are available in interior and exterior material. It is NOT an easy do it yourself project, in my opinion. Each piece is cut and clued with a special technique for the border. The cost to.do my F36 tri cabin throughout is around 8K. It is nice stuff though. Several boat manufactures are using it. jimbo36
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

guess what i was trying to say i was thinkinking of modifying a pump so it fits under the front of the bow, vrs the floor. so i wont need an access hole to get to it and i can have a solid floor. like i said just gonna test it with garden hose since i have nothing but a gutted haul right now
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

Jeff, Paul has done it right, by gluing the teak and holley to the plywood and screwing it to the cabin sole, it can be removed for inspection, any surveyor worth his salt is going to want to see the ENTIRE bilge area, keep that in mind. It's not as big a deal on our "little" boats, but, any knowledgable buyer would want to see under the cabin sole, I know I would!
1986 F26