Engine replacement/installation questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Unchained
Sporadic User

Engine replacement/installation questions

Post by Unchained »

Hello everyone. I had my starboard 454 (reverse rotation) engine rebuilt and getting ready to put it back in 3 weeks from now. I was going to have the Velvet drive trans rebuilt as well but don't have the extra $1k or so to have someone do it. Are there any components or seals that I should have replaced at the very least before I put everything back in? Should I also replace any of the driveshaft components or seals that connect between the trans and the prop? I don't know the hours on the unit but looks like it's never been rebuilt. Any suggestions along with part numbers would be most helpful. Thanks, Mike.
B&W trans #'s
Model# 10-18-004
Serial# 8846
Ratio 1.52:1
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's
S.A.M.
Moderate User

Post by S.A.M. »

If you don't get your questions answered go to:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/ ... gine-Forum
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Any reason to believe there is something wrong with the Velvets? They're very well built. Are there any leaks? What is the colour of the fluid in the unit? does it smell burnt? Does the shaft creep or turn in nuetral?

Reverse rotation? on that vintage? Are you sure it's not done at the tranny? Are these straight output or V-drive?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year