Thanks to all plus engine question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Agitator

Thanks to all plus engine question

Post by Agitator »

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have furnished info and aid so far. There were several and the tips were great.

Next question: My trim tabs do not work yet so the aft end sets pretty low at full throttle but the engine only turns about 25-2700 rpm's. Its a 318 Chrysler. It does not seem to get on plane. What should it turn and will the trim tabs bring the bow down and get it up on plane. What is the cruise RPM for this old tug?
Agitator

Left out the important part...

Post by Agitator »

It's a 1971 F26.work in progress..
JuiceClark
Moderate User

bottom clean?

Post by JuiceClark »

Cruise is usually 2900 to 3250 or so and it should hit at least 4000 if you floor it. Is the bottom and props clean...that's the first culprit.

Tony in Ft Myers, FL
1982 F-36
Agitator

Engine RPM

Post by Agitator »

The bottom is fair as is the prop. Just had it out of the water. The engine runs as smooth as can be but 2500 is all she'll do. Should it plane out without trim tabs? Cause if she should, she don't!
Thanks
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

I have a '79 F26 with a Chevy 305 Mercruiser. My engine turns max rpms at 3000. I believe the top end should be 4400. She starts easy and runs smooth. I'm going to change my fuel fiter this week and see if that helps me get the rpms up. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Before I pulled and cleaned my gas tank two years ago I had problems with dirty fuel and when the filter became clogged it definetly hurt my engine performance-I was only turning at 2500-so the filter in there now is two years old and probably ready to be changed.
Agitator

Engine RPM

Post by Agitator »

I haven't changed the filters. That's next on the list. I hope it is as simple as that. This one has been sitting idle for 2 years plus so I'm assuming the tanks are full of gum. But it sure start easy and runs soooo smooth to have anything major wrong with it. good luck with yours!
At 3000rpm, are you on plane?
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I have the same engine - Chrysler 318/225 hp. Specs are: WOT 4200 rpm. The hull is a modified step, which means it should come up to plane slowly. My trim tabs work, and I usually get up on plane around 2700 - 3000 rpm depending on load. Cruising is optimal at about 1800 - 2000 rpm for good gas economy (4-5 gal/hour). Top end at WOT, trimmed, light load, etc is 24-25mph, but "real" top end is about 22 mph. Here's what my GPS tells me at various tach readings: 1500 rpm - 6 mph, 1800 rmp - 8 mph, 2000 rpm - 10 mph. Between 2200 and 2600 rpm the stern wants to dig in. At 2800 - 3000 rpm it'll get up on plane and speed is about 15-18 mph. Secondaries on your 4bbl carb cut in over 2200 rpm and your gas economy starts to go to hell. Hope that helps.

Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Agitator

RPM's

Post by Agitator »

Randy,
Thanks for the info. I bought this "project" and know nothing about this boat. I am learning a lot though! The engine runs smooth as silk but 2500rpm is it. The engine runs smooth there,too. The stern digs in pretty good which was why I was wondering if trim tabs made that much difference. I don't think it will turn 4000 even on plane and trimmed.
Fuel filters are next and I was wondering last night if the throttle actually opened all the way. The throttle cable looks like it has been "adapted". I'll check those things out tonight. Thanks again...
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Let me know if you want me to send you any files from my original owner's manual. I have information on throttle, engine, etc. It's for a 1977 model but I'm sure it's pretty much the same. If your filters are ok you may only have to fiddle with the throttle linkage. If your filters were clogged you'd most likely get hesitation or power loss, not a smooth ride at 2500 rpm. Sounds like it may be the linkage. You can adjust it from the controller by removing the cover and adjusting the linkage from there. Pretty easy to do. Let me know if you want any of the owner's manual stuff. I can email it to you. Send me an email to rfpssp@aol.com
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"