Cruisair question?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jlyons

Cruisair question?

Post by jlyons »

Recently bought a 79 F-32. It has a cruisair unit built in sitting in between the two engines. The unit feels like it is cooling fine but not ever owning one before I have nothing to compare it to. What maintenance needs to be done to these units, if any, to keep them cooling as cold as possible. Thanks for any info.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Hello.

I take it you have remote a/c unit if you have it in your engine room.

The compressor, condenser coil and electrical box may be in your engine room while the evaporator and blower unit and high side and low side copper tubing runs to most likely, a cabinet somewhere else?

With a self contained unit, everything is one unit and usually mounted in a confined space, such as under the settee with the ducting and power cables coming and going to it. Most self contained units are not igntion protected and should not be anywhere near a fuel source such as the engine room....I know, as I just upgraded and relocated my old unit from under the cockpit, this past weekend.

Regardless of your set-up, be sure to check the a/c pump mounting, intake water strainer for debris and the a/c filter, (usually on the evaporator unit in the cabinet, if a remote unit) and the cooling hoses from the pump and to the through-hull for rusted or loose clamps. Keep the return vents free of debris, dirt and obstructions as well, there also may be a screen type filter here as well. Don't forget to look at your electrical going to the unit as well as electrical running throughout the boat.

Just visually check and get familiar with your unit. Hopefully you have information onboard for you particular model which will come in handy if you need service.

Good luck with your boat!

Jamie
Dollarbill63

What about Freon recharge? Does this apply or not?

Post by Dollarbill63 »

I too remember my air running a little colder last summer...