inside slips

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXS
Moderate User

inside slips

Post by trojanmanXS »

We have alot of issues with folks not wanting inside slips at our club so I dug around and found this , I dont want to hear one time it cant be done now !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XaoAc5i ... re=related
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Not sure what the big deal is....besides, you heard his thrusters. :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Twin outboard motors, bow thrusters and no wind
Seems like a walk in the park.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Its funny, I didn't want to post a comment for fear that I would sound like a jerk, but I was not overly impressed. He took about 10 extra steps to do something he could complete in about 3 moves. I happen to love inside slips, since I am more protected and I have less chance of getting hit by people who should not be behind the wheel of a boat.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

OK im sorry and you guys can joke me all you want!!! But I just tossed up in my mouth a bit, I really am scared. My LIL boat is going to my buddies marina when its done and he promises to give me an easy slip till I learn. But Im gonna feel horrible If I smack someones boat with mine. One of my crew members is trying to talk me into making electronc gate valve trusters using the exhaust system. His design doesn't look to expensive but its more bottuns. rear system only but will take up room. I keep working on this boat and everyday I think about learning how to dock it. practice makes perfect but things still happen, black hull oh poor me!!!! LOL
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

jefflaw35 wrote:OK im sorry and you guys can joke me all you want!!! But I just tossed up in my mouth a bit, I really am scared. My LIL boat is going to my buddies marina when its done and he promises to give me an easy slip till I learn. But Im gonna feel horrible If I smack someones boat with mine. One of my crew members is trying to talk me into making electronc gate valve trusters using the exhaust system. His design doesn't look to expensive but its more bottuns. rear system only but will take up room. I keep working on this boat and everyday I think about learning how to dock it. practice makes perfect but things still happen, black hull oh poor me!!!! LOL
You might want to install an inexpensive bow thruster while you have your boat torn apart. The work on the fiberglass should be easy for you.
I have watched some boats, our size with bow thrusters and they take most of the work out of docking. Just a flip of the switch left or right and the bow moves like a hot knife through butter.
I certainly wish I had one on my boat. Maybe in the future.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

the more I think the more I agree with you, the more videos I watch, well it just becomes a no brianer, I haven't seen any cheap ones tho. not sure its something you should go cheap on either, Just another project! LOL hey bud torcan? can you PM and tell me how to select on certian words in qoute mode, I have tried twice and copy and paste, and deleting words didnt work. Hate to make more post for myself :roll: :lol:
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Jeff,

Everyone has to learn. If I can throw a couple suggestions your way, as most boaters are very generous people, find someone that has some experience and decent slow and close boating operations experience and pick his or her brain. They may even be willing to take you out. Find some open docks, put a bunch of fenders around your boat, and practice. You can't be afraid to ask for help. This forum is a great start. I've had a few too many issues with new boaters who are very irrogant, and unwilling to admit their inexperience. As a result, boats get hit and tempers flare. I had a guy take out the side of his windshield on my docked boat's anchor when he was trying to get into his slip too fast. Amazing stuff.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Todd that sounds scary about the anchor. Im just the opposite, apperently I ask to much LOL. There are a couple Guys on this forum willing to fly here to help me learn, That is unreal!!!! I was also given advise to find a single screw boat owner locally and offer him 100$ or so just to take me out so I can watch and soak in info, Im gonna try that if it would ever warm up LOL Im still scared and far from being there, but its a major thought. and lots of $ will be spent on bumpers. Hell im even gonna where a helmet my self. I need one on a reagular basis as it is LOL, BTW your Express is beutiful! I really like them :shock:
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Sideshift https://www.sideshift.com/shop/category ... category=2 has a solution that is less obtrusive to the hull - their thrusters bolt on as opposed to being embedded in... Still not cheap though.

Step 1 though is to learn your boat. Ask for help from people with similar boats or designs. There is a huge difference in handling and technique required between outboard rigs, single sterndrive, single inboard, twin inboard, and twin sterndrive.

You are best to learn the basics first, then add aids if you truly need them.

That's why I get really scared when sales guys at the boat shows talk to first time boat buyers about how radar, autopilot, GPS, pod drives with Zeus and Axius joystick controls, and SkyHook style systems make boating so easy anyone can handle a 40footer with complete confidence and ease. They are basically saying you don't need to know anything about boating, navigation, handling your boat, its limitations, handling lines, docking safety, or close quarters manouvering.

Well... not knowing those things could get someone killed.
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

captainmaniac wrote:Sideshift https://www.sideshift.com/shop/category ... category=2 has a solution that is less obtrusive to the hull - their thrusters bolt on as opposed to being embedded in... Still not cheap though..
Problem with that one is the first log you hit, there goes $3500
My suggestion was since his boat is already down to the bare basics, Hull and frame only, now would be a good time to look into it.
It was just a thought.

And Jeff, you shouldn't have to pay anyone to show you. Just hang around a marina and look for a single screw. Most boaters are more than happy to help out, and show off their "skills" It's good for their egos :)
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I agree and thanks Capt M. N yes those price are deff out! I have found some small kits for around 600$ but didnt think I could use bow system. If a single screw pulls to the left, I was thinking a rear truster would help that. See? I have alot to learn!!! The reason I post and ask so much is because I like talking and looking at everyones boats and post for one, Also this boat is GUTTED! I want to do it right and once! Now is the time, theres no going back unless I want twice the work LOL, I really appreciate your guys help even if I am annoying!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

jefflaw35 wrote: even if I am annoying!
Stop apologizing, you have come a long way since the beginning.
And Frankly, I like and admire the NEW Jeff
keep asking away.
jefflaw35 wrote:, I was thinking a rear truster would help that.
You will appreciate it much more on the Bow
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

you getting fancy on me now LOL double qoutes :shock: :P I agree with you guys, unfortunatly in my area egos are very very high, you ask about a fish catch and 9-10 times its attitude, really sad for the wife n I. we are very friendly people and it just pushes us to keep to our selfs more and more every year. sad IMO
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I find most boaters around here very friendly and helpful Myself ( of course some won't give up there fishing tricks ). As far as bow thrusters I would not think of one below 40' even on a single screw But thats me I see some sites where folks want them on 20 footers . Once you get use to the way the boat responds it starts getting easier . It just takes time .

I also prefer inside slips ( often cheaper too)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D