rebedding cleats and handrails

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Trojan26NC

rebedding cleats and handrails

Post by Trojan26NC »

I was thinking about rebedding the handrails and the cleats on the family boat, in an attempt to make sure no more water gets to the core material.

My question is are the cleats and handrails bolted thru the hull with nuts? I thought I read somewhere that the handrails on the cabin do have nuts, so not to back them out much. Just enough to bed them.

I would hate to back the screws out and not be able to get the nuts back on without taking the a lot of stuff a part.

Planning on doing this next week while replacing the front cabin windows.

Thanks

Bill
1978 Trojan 26
Twin 135HP Volvo's
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Bill-the hand rails on the top of the cabin on the F26 does have nuts. I was able to locate and fix a leak that was occurring at that point. The nut was rusted and the back up wood blocking was in bad shape. I had to detach the head liner there to get at it, but it was well worth it-fixing and sealing it properly.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I rebedded all the rails and other deck hardware about 4 years ago and have had absolutely no leaks. Had a major problem with water intrusion into the port side of the cabin, near the start of the v-berth. It was the rail fixture right over that area. Doubt that there had been any bedding compound ever used. Back of the screw (yes, it is thru-bolted) just enough so you can get a nozzle tip (I used a 3 oz tube of silicone with the extention nozzle cut to the longest point) under the rail and then "spooge" a good amount in that area. Retighten just enough to get the sealant to ooze out a bit, but don't tighten all the way. After 8 hours tighten down 1/2 way and then after a full day tighten down. This will allow the silicone to form a good gasket and not get squeezed out by too quick a compression of the fitting. Of course, I did lose a nut or two and had to go fishing under the headliner. You can remove it partially if you're careful. Be sure to seal the anchor rode feed on the bow, if your boat has anchor chocks and a well. I doubt there is any sealant under any of those fittings, either.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Trojan26NC

Post by Trojan26NC »

Thanks for the information.

Bill
1978 Trojan 26
Twin 135HP Volvo's