Need some info on a 74 30' Flybridge. (new member)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jbozzelle

Need some info on a 74 30' Flybridge. (new member)

Post by jbozzelle »

Guys,

I found a 1974 30' Flybridge for sale. The stern sank during Hurricane Katrina and the engine compt flooded. The owner said he has replaced/fixed everything interior wise. He said the engines need to be overhauled. He said it has a genset, A/C, rigged for 110vac, etc.. He said the bilge is dry and only one of the rudder shafts drips a little more than it should.

I haven't seen the boat yet. I plan to check it out this week. I'm not sure of the exact model. I've been searching for pics on the net the last few days and I've seen everything from complete wooden cockpits to complete 'glass cockpits. From what I gathered in talking with the owner it only has the flybridge station and the cabin down below. It's got 351W Fords in it. Might be 302's, but either way there are almost the same.

I've worked around larger commercial workboats for the last 10 years. I've installed all of the latest com/nav electronics on everything from 15' flatboats on up to 200'+ offshore supply boats. I'm a gearhead so the mechanical stuff and electrical stuff doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is the fiberglass work, haul out charges, slip fees, etc... I might be able to get some dock space for free. But what do you guys pay for haul out's, storage at the yard while hauled out, slip fees, etc...

Please give me some things to look for. I'm new to boats this size. My dad has some experience with a 26' Bertram (twin Merc 6cyl's) about 30 years ago, but that's about it.

I need to know what are the problem areas on these boats?

Are the hulls solid glass, or are they cored with balsa or foam?

What about the decks? Cored, solid, ply?

Any easy ways to tell if the stringers are bad? Drill holes? probe them???? I guess I'll look for a reputable surveyor if the initial gut feel goes well.

Thanks in advance guys. This looks like a great website. Even if I don't get a "big" boat I might stick around and lurk. Looks like alot of good, knowledgeable people here.....

Thanks,

John
pdm2q

Post by pdm2q »

after all that the only question that i can muster first is.. sale price? i mean there is a 73 30' for sale at our marina with everything running mechanical, electrical and used weekly for 7,500.00
68 28' trojan express
Patrick

Nashville, TN - the real redneck yacht club
jbozzelle

Post by jbozzelle »

He's asking 6K in the ad, he's hinted at taking 4K, and i think he may take less since he said he's moving soon and can't take it with him. That's the only reason for selling...

My only concerns are the 'glass work, water in between some glass in various places and the stringers. I can handle the rest. For the price he's asking it would be a steal if the hull is in great shape like he said it is...

Are these hulls prone to blistering? Or does it all depend on the quality of the gelcoat?
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

John-my "two cents worth"-because that's what it's worth-would be to steer clear of this boat. Wet stringers on some Trojans can be a problem, but setting that aside. Any boat that has had it's engine underwater I think is going to be a problem. The deal may look good at first glance, but right now the boat market is a "buyers" one and I'd be reluctant to get into a boat that was underwater-even partially-when for a little more money you can pick one up that is relatively trouble free. (and with internet access just about every Trojan that's on the market in the US is at your fingertips).
Again-my two cents worth-that's what it's worth.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Agreed

Post by rossjo »

I 2nd/3rd the advice to stay away. The engines are SHOT. $4k + 2 new engines is still a lot more than a running boat will cost. The wiring is SHOT as well. You'll spend a year or more geting this thing going, and may end up with a problem boat anyway.

This guy already got his insurance moeny - and should be abel to almost give the boat away.

I delivered a 32' houseboat for my neighbor 2 weeks ago. $7.5k and run great - new v6 engine on older Volvo stern drive. Seller wanted a 36 Hatteras. New interior and smells great, etc. Not my cup of tea, but a definite live-aboard party barge for a great price! Was asking $12k ...

Go look at the boat mentioned above!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
farfrompuken

underwater stay away!!!!!!

Post by farfrompuken »

UNDERWATER STAY AWAY!!!HE SHOULD PAY YOU TO GET RID OF IT FOR HIM. STAY AWAY UNLESS HES GIVING IT TO YOU FOR FREE
'72 F-31 Express Flybridge JUST US TWO
Twin 270 Crusaders
16' Glassmaster Center Console
hangout:ZACKS BAY Long Island ,New York
http://s390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/farfrompuken/
George and Joanne Holzmacher
jbozzelle

Post by jbozzelle »

Thanks guys.

What year did the decks go to fiberglass? Will the 74 have teak decks?

Haven't looked at it yet. Will give it a real good look see when I do. The thing that really concerns me is there was ALOT of water in that area during the storm. I'm talking 20+ feet!

I didn't talk to the guy for very long, so I'm still unsure exactly how the stern got sunk. This thing may very well have bottom damage if it got hung up on a dock or something else and that caused the stern to slip under.

Not sure if where it's at even has a lift, so that would be a definite no-no, especially if it did have one and he didn't want to pay to pull it for inspection.

Just out of curiousity, what do you guys pay for a haul out? Lift fee, slip fee, etc...?

If this one doesn't look good, I'll still keep my eyes peeled for something else down the road. I didn't realize how well built these old boats were! The price for the one above seems very reasonable too.

I'll agree with taking an old boat over a new one. If it's still around after 30 or so years it must've been built right to begin with....
rossjo
Ultimate User

IF

Post by rossjo »

IF your heart is set on buying someone else's nightmare in another location, then simply spend $300-500 on a reputable Marine Surveyor and have them do an assessment.

I had a boat surveyed in Michigan once (I'm in SC), and the Surveyr called when he arrvied and offered to only charge me $150 to walk away because the boat was junk. Like a fool - I had my heart set on this hull and asked him to continue. This cost me $350 - and the surveys and photos showed the boat was junk, and I didn't buy it ... whew!
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Listen to these guys. You're going to put yourself in a world of hurt if you buy this boat. Not only are you looking at rebuilding engines, trannies, etc, you may have structural damage to the stern, transom, etc. The hull is solid fiberglass and the deck is most likely cored with balsa under fiberglass skin. Teak decks, maybe, but they're probably in much need to rehag. Stringers may be the least of your problems after all the aforementioned stuff, but they, too are a major concern. We bought our F-26 in 1999 and I knew the boat and previous owner well. Even then I have spent over $4 grand just to get it up to 21st century standards. If you're really set on this boat go with the advice and get a good surveyor to tell you the stuff you need to know. Lots of other fish in the sea, why hook a loser?
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I agree with Rossjo and the others . the engines are shot way past rebuilding same goes for the gears wiring Im sure . you can buy a ready to go cheaper then to fix. now if you can get it for free and have a complete set of engines laying around then maybe . other wise walk away better yet run . this comes from some one who loves fixing up old boats
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jbozzelle

Post by jbozzelle »

Guys,

I appreciate the responses. The thing is I can do the engine swap, R/R, gearbox work, etc.. I've been a drag racer and been around boats my whole life so it's just the structural stuff I need in determining if it's bad or not. I've got enough parts in the garage to build 1 1/2 engines. The thing will be if the marine stuff ( manifolds, heat exchanger, etc...) is any good. I can cover the long blocks... The gearboxes might be a challenge, but I know some people..

I saw the boat from a distance yesterday. The owner wasn't home so I peeked at it from the other side of the canal. It floats.... I think it was a running boat until it sank, so we'll see what it look like inside and below decks.

I'll be on the lookout for the rot and delamination, blisters, etc from sitting underwater. Is the deck on here supported by a wood frame, or is it a one piece glass drop in cockpit? Is the hull known for delamination from the inside out from standing water? (even bilge water from normal use). Thing is I don't know how long it sat underwater. Might have been a day or so, or maybe a few weeks. The area of town was flooded from the storm and he has never said if the boat sank to the bottom of the slip, or just took on enough water to cover the engines.... If she sank all the way then it's a question of if the struts, props, etc. are damaged.

Worse thing he can do is say no to my offer.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Go 4 it!

Post by rossjo »

Go for it - we can't divert you - youre possessed! I bought a Corvette once like that - had a great time, but worked my butt off. You've got a good support team here if nothing else.

Out to the dock to watch the next thunderstorm roll through tonight ... had another area boat come home from Sunday fishing today after losing 2 O/B engnes 60 miles offshore.

They spent 30 hours offshore - 100 miles south of their destination. Reminds you that the ocean can be a big place ..................................
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

good luck , I hope your offer is low , keep us posted all of us will be here to offer advice and support as we have all gotten the Trojan bug
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jbozzelle

Post by jbozzelle »

Thanks guys. It was stroming this evening so maybe I'll look at it tomorrow.

I'm definitely taking into consideration how much I'll have to pump in to it to make it running again!
jbozzelle

Post by jbozzelle »

Guys,

I went to see it today. Let's just say I didn't even need to ask questions here to determine it wasn't worth it.

I'll keep looking...

Now, I did like the layout. Roomy, yet practical for an overnight trip.