318 question "maybe"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXS
Moderate User

318 question "maybe"

Post by trojanmanXS »

ok My auto guy that has had my motor for a year has finally got it in the shop and started I went there this am and he explained the block is junk its been cracked due to water freeze. I dont know alot about engines but what he was saying is that someone had rebuilt the engine before as the piston head had the stamp 40 over on it ? not sure what that meant but just nodded my head. then he said that the engine was not a 318. He pointed to some stamped numbers on the block and said it was a 440 ? I'm lost at this point did trojan put 440's in the 1979 f26 ? I have to decide on what the next step is here if I purchase a new remanned engine from a company do I order the 318 or do I order teh 440? will the parts " of which I have a trailer load of parts and pieces" will they fit onto a 318 if the engine that was in it is in fact a 440? or do I order the 440? very confusing here , thanks for any input.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Did the come with a 440 ? No , But that could have been changed . Post a photo of it and I can tell you if its a big or small block mopar . parts Will not interchange . BTW the distributor is on the front of the engine on the 440 ( where the drive belts are) on the 318 its on the back (flywheel end)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

thanks prowler, it is in fact a 440. I called bob "bless his heart" he walked me through the ryme and reason behind such a thing. from what I gathered they were never built with a 440 and for some reason the po put one in so as I was just about to cut a check to have the rebuild started I called Bob and he saved me from making a nasty mistake. I spent the rest of the day searching local for an engine and happened to find a 276 complete and running in the next town over the guy is asking 1k so plans are to get over there and start it and do a compression check . I think I'll end up finally with a 350 but would like to risk running the 276 for a year or two until I can tuck enough away to purchase the 350. so if anyones looking for 440 parts chime in I have a 440 anchor sitting here now
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Your old 440 is junk if its cracked and already been bored 0.040 over.

Get a reman'd 440 - you'll appreciate the power, and you won't be "pushing" the engine as much.

If you're more of a slow cruiser, the 276 would be OK, but its marginal.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Are we talking 276 CID engine from Chrysler? Hmmm, unless it's an old 50's engine, I haven't heard of a 276 CID engine.

273 CID engine, yes... :roll:

Someone enlighten me please.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

sorry just checked the paperwork your right its a 273 . An old man whos sinced passed away had this wood trojan for 20+ yrs I remember him when I worked at the marina when I was a young lad with hair on my head . before he passed away he sold it to a buddy who two years ago hit a deadhead one night and punched a huge hole in the boat , he was able to ground it driving straight onto shore , the next day he plywood patched the hole and got towed back to the marina. he then sold the mess to the person who now has the engine . He cut the helm out of the boat and then cut the stern off , cut through the stringers and removed the entire thing wires never cut or removed from the helm, just whacked the thing up in pieces and loaded it onto his trailer. I'm going over again towards the end of next week as he said he'll have it ready to start in his garage so once its out of the corner and all the engine is visible I'm hoping I can get godo compression and get through a couple years with it , The owner that hit the deadhead told me the engine was rebuild and had close to 100hrs on it before he smashed the boat. ok what kinda trouble am I getting into now here? will this engine get the boat on plain or is it destin to be a trawler until I get the funds to buy a real engine ? my thoughts were for about $800 I will have every part needed already sitting on this engine and be up and running or "crawling" around the river here
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

you can get a better motor cheaper maybe, Larry and I shipped mine from texas to VA for 150$ I have less than 500$ in it and im building a good motor now. Prowler Paul sent me an email one morning with a craiglist link to a velvet drive for 150$, got it 8 hours later for 100$.(very greatful)... I have a 318 long block thats seized here, freeze plugs still in and no visible cracks. I have no interest in it but you can have it if you like. I almost rebulit my new long block but it looks around 1600$ to do it correctly. I could have had Jasper send me one already done for less. I probly should have but it not the point. IMO your need a bigger motor. Your not going to be happy. Just my 2 cent buddy. Good luck, keep posting your almost there!! BTW BOB told me he wanted about 2500$ for a long block to the door for a 318. Gota love BOAT!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The 273 should work and get on plane it won't be a speed boat for sure . you need to down size or reduce pitch on the prop . Your can put the marine parts on a 318 later on if you want , Most will bolt on .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thats another thought I have came across. you change the motors and you are spending $ on other things?? There really is no way to save $ with these projects IMO. Ok save yes, but your going to spend! Im doing it too. but why go low, low , low only to turn around and have to double spend $ a year or two later. Im pulling my hair out. I understand budget and I also know pulling engines is not cheap and easy...(corection im not changing motor size, just spending)
rossjo
Ultimate User

Re: 318 question "maybe"

Post by rossjo »

trojanmanXS wrote: ... I dont know alot about engines but what he was saying is that someone had rebuilt the engine before as the piston head had the stamp 40 over on it ? not sure what that meant but just nodded my head. then he said that the engine was not a 318. He pointed to some stamped numbers on the block and said it was a 440 ? ...
Based on your limited engine expertise, it will probably not be economical to buy and install a 45 year old 273 motor (1964 to 1969) that has been through a major crash and possible sinking. Better to buy a solid remanufactured engine (with a warranty!?) and do it right the 1st time in my opinion.

I would buy a reman'd Chrysler big block like you have now and use your old accessories or go to a 350 Chevy/Crusader based motor ... but again, that's my opinion.

Wish you the best of luck either way ...
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

yeah after sleeping on it and getting nothing but bad news yesterday I think common sense has kicked in here. I cant utilize the parts outside the 440 block on a 318 so the existing engine and parts idea are now scrapped. Bob says he has the tranny that I would need should I lean towards a 350 chevy so the new idea is to keep plugging away on the boat get her pretty again and wait till next year to find a motor. its definetly an up and down ride saving an old boat isnt it ? thanks for the input. I was searchign last night and happened across this engine a few hrs from me http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3068203119.html so in reality someones always got an engine there looking to get rid of.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Curious - why not get another 440 (or other BB) Chrysler? Perhaps used? It will bolt up exactly (Mounts & tranny), and even if its a bit tired it will have as much or more power than the 273 would. It will have more torque, so you can over-prop it a bit and cruise slow and economically if you like.
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

after speaking to Bob he explained that a 440 in the f26 wasnt a good idea due to the weight ofthe rngine coupled with the rpm damaging the 1" shaft I have no clue how the boat performed with this 440 in itbut was getting the feeling it wasnt the brightest idea according to bob
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

I own a 26 Chaparral and wouldn't consider anything less than a big block in it.

Is is a Mercruiser Bravo-1 however, and the 1" shaft is marginal, but you don't have to hot rod it. Or do you? ;)
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

if I wait . which is most likely will I have to change the prop , shaft if I drop a 350 chevy in it ?