Repowering F26

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

carlywolf
Sporadic User

Repowering F26

Post by carlywolf »

I am looking into putting in a brand new sportac 5.7 mfi engine with a 2 year warranty. Boat is in great shape so my thinking is in the long run this would be my best choice. Had a chrysler 360 reman and the main bearing took a crap.... I dont think i want to go that route again so asking on here i figured i get some good feed back on this .. Thx in advance :idea:
Classic 1977 F26 HT 5.7 MPFI 350 (330HP)
CLAS-SEA
Carl
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The 5.7 mfi is a good engine. My previous boat had a Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi which I was very happy with. Others in the forum have said that the Vortec 5.7 engines are too tall to fit in the F26. Be sure to check the height of the engine to ensure that it will fit. You might have to take off the plastic air intake cover. Also, what horsepower is the 5.7 mfi? You will need a new bell housing to mate the 5.7 mfi to the current transmission, so if the horsepower is significantly more than the 360 you might want to include a new transmission as well.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

the chrysler 360 had 260 hp, the sportpac 5.7 has 300 hp. Both Jerrys Marine in Fort Lauderdale and my mechanic say the zf 450 tranny can handle the extra HP. This engine comes with bell housing etc etc. Just trying to weigh the options before i buy. Im a little leary about another reman. Wifes eyes began rolling when i first brought it up but that was to be expected. The cost is a bit :shock: higher but peace of mind can be priceless as they say, not to mention safety.. Sooo im building a doghouse just in case .. Thx for any input or expertise
CLAS-SEA
Carl
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

MAKE sure the bel housing will fit the ZF gear
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I would check the specs real close before I buy that engine, or any engine. I repowered my F26 with that block and it took forever and cost $$$$ just to make it fit under the hatch.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

After seeing this feedback on size and fitting of new engine i am going to go measure the 360 i have in there now. Nothing worse then hearing a mechanic say i can make it work just need a little more time $$$$$.
CLAS-SEA
Carl
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I have a Crusader Captains Choice 5.7 vortec motor rated at 330hp with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive, it does fit but it's pretty close, . I did have to remove the black cover though.

I did replace my cockpit deck awhile back, it's pretty close to the original height though it might be different than yours . Also, there is now a 6.2L engine which is not as tall as the 5.7

When I went through this, on Crusader's web site they had some documentation on how to measure, and included diagrams. It was very helpful. With the decorative black cover it wouldn't clear, but once it was removed it fit OK, I have 1/2 inch from the highest point of the flame arrestor. It was the best thing I ever did and would do it again

good luck

The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The Crusader 6.0L is 4 inches shorter than the 5.7L.
http://www.crusaderengines.com/NewFiles/60specs.pdf
http://www.crusaderengines.com/NewFiles/5057specs.pdf
It also produces 375 hp, which may be too much for the F26. I'm not sure how much is too much.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Of what ive read on here and talked to a few mechanics , 375 hp would be overkill for the F26. And as other Trojan owners have said these vessels are for cruising not speeding so i take heed with those statements. Man, after researching engine prices looks like ill be cutting some expenses in the future.
CLAS-SEA
Carl
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

this boat game is deffinetly not for the small wallet man. Im getting my arse handed to me left and right but I love it. I just keep working harder at work. It will be worth it in the end, for any project we all take on.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Jeff I disagree , a boat makes you a small wallet man :cry: . Becuse mine sure gets smaller every time I even look at it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

:lol: I guess that was a double negative on my part.... Ive been looking for my wallet for 3 days... I think she took it!!! Boss told me that my book keeper was in last week asking for my checks to be put on direct deposit cause she thinks im skimming off the top!!! :lol: :lol: FunnE Guy!!
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Yeah, ive reconciled that it is all worth it tho, nothing better then being on the water for me. My grandfather was in the navy, my dad was in the navy and hearing their stories being out in the pacific and atlantic gave me the bug at a very young age. Ill pay for that kinda life and be happy to work harder to afford it :D . Ahhh for all the stories we will be able to relate !!!
CLAS-SEA
Carl
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I know the feeling! dad and Gdad both navy pilots. I was on the USS Carl Vinsion in 1985 for a 10 day Tiger Cruise on the west coast when I was little. Thinks thats where I picked up the passion!! Good luck to all of us....I couldnt think of a better place to be, other than the H2O!!
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

carlywolf wrote:Of what ive read on here and talked to a few mechanics , 375 hp would be overkill for the F26. And as other Trojan owners have said these vessels are for cruising not speeding so i take heed with those statements. Man, after researching engine prices looks like ill be cutting some expenses in the future.
375hp is alot for an F-26 and especially a 1"shaft. Mine has 330hp compared to the original Chrysler 318 which was rated at 225hp. Regarding the swap to a brand new setup, it can get quite expensive. I'm amazed at how much the 5.7 Captains Choice has gone up in price over the last 9 years since I did mine. A lot of it depends on how long you plan to keep the boat, and what you want to do with it. You will definitely have to set aside some extra money for hidden expenses that will pop up.

As far as performance, I am running the same pitch prop as I was with the 318 which is a 14x10" cupped prop . The Chrysler was rated at 225hp at 4000 rpm, while the new 5.7 is rated at 330hp at 5000 rpm. The recommended rpm band for the 5.7 is 4800-5200rpm at WOT, currently I achieve 5100 with full fuel. Cruising speed has not really changed that much, 3000rpm with a 1:1 transmission is 3000 rpm, whatever the HP is. The boat gets on plane quickly and does burn less fuel. Top speed is just under 32kts, but I only achieved this once while I was making sure I could reach the recommended rpm, the boat wasn't designed to run at that speed and I wouldn't recommend it. It will cruise all day comfortably at 15-17kts and is very fuel efficient. The best part is having the extra power when needed, especially in a following sea. I couldn't believe how this engine transformed the boat. I know I'll never get my money back on it, but it's been well worth it to me, providing me a "new" boat at a fraction of the cost. It has given me plenty of good use over the last 9 seasons.