Size and length of keel on F26

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

carlywolf
Sporadic User

Size and length of keel on F26

Post by carlywolf »

Well after almost 2 months i finally am ready to take ClasSea out for a sea trial. I think it was Summer Storm who warned me that a new engine refit was going to be long and expensive, well he was right , ill leave it at that but my mechanic commented about the keel and asked me if this Trojan was hard to handle. He said he was kinda miffed why Trojan would put such a long and deep keel on it. So i ask on here if this was normal or if it was some thing a PO might have put on or added on . Thx
Classic 1977 F26 HT 5.7 MPFI 350 (330HP)
CLAS-SEA
Carl
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Can you post a photo of the bottom ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

wanna say I saw another pick on the trailor a few weeks ago, it looked normal. I am fascinated with this vessel :lol: Im probly wrong of course :x
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The keel on your F26 is stock from the factory. I wish my F26 had MORE keel, not less. With only 5 degrees deadrise and a large cabin (lots of windage), the boat really gets pushed around by the wind. My last boat had 14 degrees deadrise and a smaller cabin, and handled the wind much better. If there is any amount of wind, make sure to account for it. In my experience, the wind has much more affect on the boat than the current.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Just to clarify, my mechanic really liked how Trojan manufactured their boats both inside and outside. Mine has that cavitation plate on the transom to aid in less air pocket but he commented also on the rudder sticking out about 5 inches past the transom. He thought maybe if the rudder was moved a little closer to the prop say. 2-3 inches that might aide in handling. He was just throwing that out there as we were sipping some cold ones. One thing he kept commenting about was the size of these cabins on the F26. He said ( they dont make boats like this anymore). Ill post some pics of the keel next week but i think Dog House is correct factory keel.
Classic 1977 F26 HT 5.7 MPFI 350 (330HP)
CLAS-SEA
Carl
pilgrim32

Post by pilgrim32 »

Ahoy Carlywolf. I may have some pictures also of that type of keel. My diamond in the rough is a 78 F-26 hardtop in need of alot of TLC. Would like to see pictures of that cav plate you are talking about on your rudder. Nice looking boat you have.
pilgrim32
1978 F-26 HT
Plymouth.MA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36731885@N07/
gopher

Post by gopher »

Was just through Plymouth..
You at Brewers?\

still got the 73, F26

Greg
Hamilton, on
Greg