Final Idle Fix ??

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BMILLER
Sporadic User

Final Idle Fix ??

Post by BMILLER »

After having the starboard engine not even wanting to start at all now, I've replaced the metal inline fuel filter, added a new 10 micron canister filter as was recommended to me on this forum, replaced the fuel line from the fuel pump to the distribution manifold back at the transom with marine A1 3/8" fuel hose and am waiting on the arrival of a 1409 carb which I ordered. I can only HOPE this finally fixes this starboard engine woes. After researching the old service records this carb (engine starting and idle) has been problematic for a long time. I can only hope this is the fix and not a fuel tank issue...................... and going to replace the vent hoses too.
1978 F-28
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

have you attempted to fire the engine off with just ether? i had a similar issue and to make sure it wasn't the engine i just put some fuel into the filter unit (fill the bowl fairly much) and just jump the engine while spraying ether, if it starts then its the tanks or the lines, (it should run for a minute or two with just that gas)..... if it chock's then its the carb...
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Barry, you are not going to like dealing with the vent hose. It is under the floorboards and goes up the outside bulkhead. Ergo possible furniture removal to get boards up and outside verticle board. I know cause mine is all open and easy now.

You are welcome to come and study it anytime.
Last edited by larryeddington on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Good point Larry........I'll check the condition of the vent hoses and make sure my vents are not filled with mud daubers, then address as needed.

As for starting with ether, I respectfully pass on that one. If I coax and coax the thing and hold the throttle at 3/4 open, it may start but screams for an instant till I can back it down. If I then set it at a very fast idle it tries to run but roughly, then may suddenly die again. Soooooooo, new inline filter, new 10 micron fuel/water seperator, new 3/8 A1 rubber hose to inlet side of fuel pump and a new 1409 carb. If that doesn't fix it..........................?? It started fine all winter long...........one 3/4 throttle to set the choke and then just above idle to crank her over and she started right up. Ran the engines every week to bring them up to temp, etc. Started having the problems in the spring. Yup, it has Marine StaBil in the tanks. Port engine starts fine. Boat will stay a dock queen for a while, horn and lights not wired up to the new system yet. Better half is "urging" me to sell it. It may come to that.........who knows ?
1978 F-28
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

If your vent hoses are plugged it will run longer than what you are saying, before it will shut off. |If you want to eliminate the fuel system take a 6 gal outboard tank with good fuel and hook it to the fuel pump and start it. It may have a vacum leak at the carb base. Try to close the choke while running, if it picks up speed then you have a lean problem. Either vacum leak or lean carb. Have you tried adjusting air idle screws on carb? Start with screw them in all the way and back off 1 turn then go 1/4 truns either out or in from there. You will hear the engine pick up or want to die, adjust till smooth. Also check the antisiphon valve on the tank. They love to stick after winter. They will open not all the way and cause problems with fuel flow.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I agree using a smaller above deck plastic tank will eliminate all other problems. I have a 6 gallon one to use for starting my twins on the hard.

BTW My f28 did not come with anti syphon valves, I dissassembled tank fittings and nada. The new tank system will have them. I have two shiney bran new ones to install.
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Thanks. All good points. BTW where is the location of the anti siphon valve? How can it be accessed. My interior is all out anyway, but all flooring is still intact, but there are access holes and panels..........and I can sure add some more if necesary :D
1978 F-28
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Anti-siphon valves are right at the tank where your hose is fastened to. It will look like a regular fitting. If you suspect the vent, simply remove the gas fill cap and it will vent the tank.

Before going with another carb, the good thing about having twins is that you have 2 of everything. Swap the carbs and see if the problem follows the suspect carb, and running on a portable tank as suggested is the best way to isolate the ship's fuel system but do only one thing at a time so you find out which change fixed the issue.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

I have a Carter remote mount electric fuel pump here in the garage. I should probably set it up on the dock (away from the boat) on a stand w/a battery and pump out the fuel from that starboard tank and then pull the sender and take a look inside with my LED flashlight. I'd run the fuel into 5 gal cans. Unfortunately that tank is about half full............. :( I hate working around "empty" tanks. Just have to turn off ALL AC and DC power and pick a windy day. If it has debris in the tank, how do you clean it out............a rag on a stick? At least there is an existing inspection door for the sending unit next to the air conditioner. Might take the air compressor along and back blow the fuel line too. Maybe the original fuel line is blocked? BTW, is that tank outlet and anti siphon valve on the bottom, top or end of the tank. I've never peered into that area....yet? Then after all that, perform a smell test for fumes, air out as necessary then run the blowers for a while just to make sure its OK.
1978 F-28
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

Big D wrote:Anti-siphon valves are right at the tank where your hose is fastened to. It will look like a regular fitting. If you suspect the vent, simply remove the gas fill cap and it will vent the tank.

Before going with another carb, the good thing about having twins is that you have 2 of everything. Swap the carbs and see if the problem follows the suspect carb, and running on a portable tank as suggested is the best way to isolate the ship's fuel system but do only one thing at a time so you find out which change fixed the issue.
Good point... swap carbs and or test/remove/clean anti siphon valve.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Barry assuming you have round tanks the fuel pickup comes out on the top right beside the sending units. There is a manual cut off valve there but nev er found any antisiphon valves. The access ias located in a round cut out under aft bench beside door.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

They look like a normal fitting but they are not. Its the top side of the 90 coming out of the tank. Wish i had a picture. It doesn't look like anything but a female/male connector.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I have 2 new ones and know what they are and look like.

Putting new tanks in mine removed old ones scrapped all fittiings and pipes. My F28 did not have anti siphon valves but will.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink