Dock electrical ??

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rbcool
Active User

Dock electrical ??

Post by rbcool »

Has anybody noticed this at their marinas?
At least 7 boats, in different positions and including mine, have experienced at least one of their female plug holes being burned-blackened. And one male prong pitted. This has happened over the past year. A few of the cords are fairly new and YES..... we all know to turn the plug when plugging in.
Also.... several boats report (mine as well) that the zincs on the STBD side are getting eaten up WAY faster than the Port, doesn't matter which side of the dock they are on.
Our (master :roll: :roll: ) electrician here has used his little volt meter and proclaimed nothing is wrong.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

In some cases it's the ground, others not

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

nothing wrong my radiation burned tush! how many electrical cords are hanging in the water from other vessels? is there a 'marina cable' touching the water? i'd be curious to trace this thing out.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Do you have any derilict boats on the dock? Perhaps your issue is with a improperly wired boat which is passing this current into the water and surrounding boats?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Stripermann2 wrote:Do you have any derilict boats on the dock? Perhaps your issue is with a improperly wired boat which is passing this current into the water and surrounding boats?
ahhh good suggestion jamie. now, which thread do i/we respond to? there are two with the exact same title and question.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Here's a little trick to help find where the problem is. Ideally, you'll want to do this on every "nearby" boat. I'm not sure what "nearby" means, but the stories I've read about swimmers being electrocuted in marinas lead me to believe that it is on the order of 30 feet, so you might want to start there. But don't get hung-up on distance.

First, leave the voltmeter in the toolbox.

Take a clamp-on AMMETER and put it around the shore power cord(s) of the subject boat.

Turn on every AC device on the subject boat (this may need to be done in phases) and make sure it is drawing power. Be sure to run hot water so that the water heater powers-up.

Read the value on the ammeter.

Since the ammeter is clamped around all of the incoming and outgoing wires, the induced current in will be cancelled by the induced current out, that is why to "properly" use a clamp-on meter (to measure the current in a conductor), you need to ensure that it clamped around just one conductor.

There should be (almost) no current detected by the meter (everything has a leakage current -- there is no perfect ground). That is, unless current is leaking out of the boat and into the water, or out of the water and into the boat (because it is serving as a ground for a nearby boat with a faulty ground of its own).

The meter won't tell you which way the current is going, but if the value is non-zero, go around and unplug other boats' shore power until you get "zero" ( it is unlikely that you'll get exactly 0.00 on the meter). That is the boat with the problem (assuming that it is not your boat-- which can easily be verified by performing this test on the adjacent boat and unplugging YOUR shore power to see if their meter suddenly reads "0.00").

If you carry-out this experiment, please report the results. I know that ABYC is concerned about 1.5 amps.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Unfortunetly, going around and just unplugging other boat's shore power is a no-no. Unless you have their approval! Would you want someone to just walk up and unplug your power? :wink:

But your application seems right on...
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

When a cord burns up its due to high resistance at the point where it burns or a overload . In the case where it burns at the plug in most cases its due to burnt or lose contacts in the female receptacle all the meters in the won't tell you that. You can burn up a brand new cord due to a bad receptacle .

Its rare that the boat would a issue . Even if there are several boats with the same issues , you many have a lot worn receptacles . a GOOD idea is to do a drag test on the terminals in the receptacle along with a visual and voltage test .

due to the cost of these receptacles It seems marinas don't repalace them when needed . We have to raise hell to get one replace .

its always a good idea to replace the plug when replaceing the receptacle. if ther is any damage .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Burned plugs means to outlet is worn and not making contact properly. Was having the same issue with zincs being rapidly destroyed. Installed a galvanic isolater 2 years ago and problem went away. Lots of old sailboats near me with old and spliced cords that I know are the issue. Community dock so I can only suggest replacing there cords. I lost a very close friend to electrical shock at a pier due to this. If at a marina push the issue for outlet replacement it's what you pay for. Most electricians bave little knowledge of the marine enviroment.

Dennis (master electrician)
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

what is this galvanic isolater you speak of???

where does it go?

how does it help?
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Stripermann2 wrote:Unfortunetly, going around and just unplugging other boat's shore power is a no-no.
Says who? In my book keeping your property in a condition that damages my property is a "no-no". If unplugging you keeps me and the rest of the dock from taking collateral damage consider yourself unplugged. If you continue to not make repairs and insist on plugging back in and causing more damage to others property you may find yourself without a shore power cord.

I'm not advocationg vandalism, steeling, or anything like that, but if somebody keeps doing something stupid and you are suffering damage to your own property as a result you have to take matters into your own hands sometimes.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Unfortunetly, going around and just unplugging other boat's shore power is a no-no. Unless you have their approval!
Well, quite frankly I envisioned this to be a team effort amongst fellow boat owners and/or the marina operator. That said, I noticed that Tuesday nights are pretty quiet around my marina.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote:
Unfortunetly, going around and just unplugging other boat's shore power is a no-no. Unless you have their approval!
Well, quite frankly I envisioned this to be a team effort amongst fellow boat owners and/or the marina operator. That said, I noticed that Tuesday nights are pretty quiet around my marina.....
mostly agreed , but you you should never unplug about with out the owners or marina management approval ( unless you see smoke of course ) anyone that would just unplug a boat even for a quick test should be reported to the marina management , as many boats have systems that need to be reset . Unless I know you and it was my boat there would be hell to pay .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Rooferdave, the isolater is installed on the ground of your incoming shorepower circuit. Diodes in the unit only allow current flow in one direction so it isolates your system from others. Remember electric will go to the closest ground source, taking your boat out of this link will save your underwater metals. Hell it's so bad where I am at a 46ft. Sailboat lost his rudder at the dock to corrosion. Search on line for units, remember (1) for each power circuit.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Commissionpoint wrote:
Stripermann2 wrote:Unfortunetly, going around and just unplugging other boat's shore power is a no-no.
Says who? In my book keeping your property in a condition that damages my property is a "no-no". If you unplugging you keeps me and the rest of the dock from taking collateral damage consider yourself unplugged. If you continue to not make repairs and insist on plugging back in and causing more damage to others property you may find yourself without a shore power cord.

I'm not advocationg vandalism, steeling, or anything like that, but if somebody keeps doing something stupid and you are suffering damage to your own property as a result you have to take matters into your own hands sometimes.
Says who? :? Well, if you unplug another boat you need to understand that you could be responsible for any problems that could result. For example, if you unplug a boat that is relying on the auto battery charger keeping the bilge pump active and the boat sinks causing several issues including invironmental, you may have a problem. :shock: The owner may not realize there is a ground fault issue on their boat. At the very least, you will be shutting down refridgeration causing food to spoil and, heaven forbid, beer to go warm! :cry: I strongly suggest you tell the marina operator and let them deal with the problem for you. By the way, when many boats are unplugged they need to be reset when plugged in again. Many Carvers are like this. I agree, premature deterioration of zinks needs to be checked out. Good luck. :wink: