6.5 onan genny mcck fuel issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sluggo
Sporadic User

6.5 onan genny mcck fuel issue

Post by sluggo »

My genny is getting close to genning again, but I have a hard time keeping it running. We are pretty sure it is a fuel issue, as we have cleaned out the realively new carb, several times. Each time it has the 'gunk' assoicated with the ethonal gas in it. I have changed the filter on the fuel pump as well as the element in the fuel/water seperator. Any other ideas. I have put in the Starbright greeen stuff in the fuel each time I fill up. thanks!
I have a new (this month) thermal cut off switch on it as well.
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I put a new fuel pump on my MCCK this season. I used a Facet, which was OE for my spec J set, but I got it from Facet and not Onan which saved some loot. (a lot of loot actually)

Seemingly the old pumps will still move fuel, but not at the proper pressure when they get old and you get random shutdowns that might make you think thermal switch. I know thats what I was thinking, but a buddy who is a generator geek said it was probably the pump, and he was right. You too may want to look into that. The pump cost me about 80 bux and took less than an hour to swap out despite its crappy location. Since then I get no more unwanted random shutdowns.

Good luck sorting it.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

Commissionpoint wrote:I put a new fuel pump on my MCCK this season. I used a Facet, which was OE for my spec J set, but I got it from Facet and not Onan which saved some loot. (a lot of loot actually)

Seemingly the old pumps will still move fuel, but not at the proper pressure when they get old and you get random shutdowns that might make you think thermal switch. I know thats what I was thinking, but a buddy who is a generator geek said it was probably the pump, and he was right. You too may want to look into that. The pump cost me about 80 bux and took less than an hour to swap out despite its crappy location. Since then I get no more unwanted random shutdowns.

Good luck sorting it.
thanks I might do that, there is a Facet pump on there now, but it has to over 10 yrs old (I've owned the boat that long and never replaced it)
do you know the #/model you used from facet? or the spec I need?
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Commissionpoint
Active User

1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

thanks, I think I may have circled another one from this site to buy if need be, so you are sure of the specs on this (best you know) for an 87onan mcck genny. double thanks!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Commissionpoint
Active User

sluggo wrote:
, so you are sure of the specs on this (best you know) for an 87onan mcck genny. double thanks!
I'll be quite honest with you. I can work on anything, and I can make just about anything run. No bull. That being said, Onan MCCK's are a PITA! Not kidding. They are ornery, unconventional, and costly to maintain if you buy factory parts.

What I know is that the pump I linked on that post is the one that was the direct replacement for my Spec J MCCK. I dunno what spec your 1987 model is. THIS MEANS ALOT. I cannot place enough emphasis on this. Over the years as new variants of the same model were produced the spec type was changed to signify the update in production. Different parts were used on different spec models. What I DO know is that below spec J was a different pump. I also know that on the page I linked to you there is a tool for finding the Facet part #on your pump to make sure you get the proper replacement part.

I hope that helps. Personally I'd love a Westerbeke, but I won't be buying one anytime soon. That is my ultimate solution to the Onan though.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Commissionpoint wrote:
sluggo wrote:
, so you are sure of the specs on this (best you know) for an 87onan mcck genny. double thanks!
I'll be quite honest with you. I can work on anything, and I can make just about anything run. No bull. That being said, Onan MCCK's are a PITA! Not kidding. They are ornery, unconventional, and costly to maintain if you buy factory parts.

What I know is that the pump I linked on that post is the one that was the direct replacement for my Spec J MCCK. I dunno what spec your 1987 model is. THIS MEANS ALOT. I cannot place enough emphasis on this. Over the years as new variants of the same model were produced the spec type was changed to signify the update in production. Different parts were used on different spec models. What I DO know is that below spec J was a different pump. I also know that on the page I linked to you there is a tool for finding the Facet part #on your pump to make sure you get the proper replacement part.

I hope that helps. Personally I'd love a Westerbeke, but I won't be buying one anytime soon. That is my ultimate solution to the Onan though.
having grown up with a kohler 7.5 on our tri cabin, i can only agree that the onans, while usually reliable, they are NOT diy friendly. the kohler was so easy to maintain it was almost dummy proof. standard spark plug wires, standard oil filters, everything within easy reach to replace. BELIEVE ME, if i had the $$ i'd swap out my onan for a kohler or a westerbeke in a heartbeat. if i did, i'd go from 6.5 to 7 or 8kw.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Say what you will , but there is something to be said when a Onan is having minor issues and they are in many cases 35-40 years old . and there are a ton of them out there at that age . I wonder if my genset will last that long ? I don't think I will live that long to find out .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

IMO, the Onan isn't really that hard to work on. Pretty simple engine and generator actually. Gotta remember when these were first built/designed, they made them to last. Quite frankly, they're bullet proof. Still a lot of original units out there powering commercial stanby systems first installed long before they made thier way into boats. Why don't they upgrade to newer gensets? no need to! They're pretty hard to kill unless of course they don't get used, but that will kill any engine. As far as parts go, yes some are hard to come by but think of thier age. I can name thousands of items built in the last 5 years that you can't get parts for anymore. Expensive parts? Yes. When you start using aircraft grade components at the time like shielded spark plug cables, plugs, etc. ya it can be pretty pricey but I'd put an old Onan up against some of the newer stuff any day. Is it the best ever made? maybe not, but I sure as hell am happy with the one I have, and I've worked on a few brands over the years. Once you understand their operation, I think they're a piece of cake.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

Commissionpoint wrote:
sluggo wrote:

thanks for your time and help!!!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

Commissionpoint wrote:
sluggo wrote:

thanks for your time and help!!!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote:IMO, the Onan isn't really that hard to work on. Pretty simple engine and generator actually. Gotta remember when these were first built/designed, they made them to last. Quite frankly, they're bullet proof. Still a lot of original units out there powering commercial stanby systems first installed long before they made thier way into boats. Why don't they upgrade to newer gensets? no need to! They're pretty hard to kill unless of course they don't get used, but that will kill any engine. As far as parts go, yes some are hard to come by but think of thier age. I can name thousands of items built in the last 5 years that you can't get parts for anymore. Expensive parts? Yes. When you start using aircraft grade components at the time like shielded spark plug cables, plugs, etc. ya it can be pretty pricey but I'd put an old Onan up against some of the newer stuff any day. Is it the best ever made? maybe not, but I sure as hell am happy with the one I have, and I've worked on a few brands over the years. Once you understand their operation, I think they're a piece of cake.
Yeh sure, like anything I suppose. I build Mercedes engines in my spare time so I'm no stranger to one offs. Lets be honest though. Onans are overengineered. Its like my pair of w126's. If you want to work on them there is a matter of palatability. You have to have the money and either the willingness to learn or a mechanic you trust.

Other than that if you don't like Kohler or Westerbeke you can try your luck on a Northern Lights.

And thats all I am gonna say. YMMV.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The biggest issue I have had working on any gen-set be a Onan , westerbeake , Kohler or northern lights and others is the placement of it in the boat . And I have worked on all the above both gas and diesel . I have a northern lights myself , but if I had a gas boat I would be as happy with a onan as anything else , ( Nothern lights only makes Diesels gensets) .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Ever have to repair a recent 6.5 Kohler in a box? Nice quiet little units in a small package/footprint but have you tried working on one? I'm talkin' tight!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:Ever have to repair a recent 6.5 Kohler in a box? Nice quiet little units in a small package/footprint but have you tried working on one? I'm talkin' tight!

No fun at all .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels