Synchronizer gauge recommendation?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Hart
Sporadic User
Location: Either at home on Wixom Lake or on the Big Pond in Manistee.

Synchronizer gauge recommendation?

Post by Hart »

I'd like to install a synch gauge on my upper helm station, as I'm not big into the "synch by ear only" method.

Can anyone recommend a decent (and not incredibly expensive) synchronizer gauge?

Thanks.
1979 F36 Convertible "Hart's Desire"
w/twin Chrysler 440s and a ton o' teak

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I installed a Faria unit two years ago. I can't recall the price... $140? It works great but it's big so you need room for it in the dash. All you do is adjust the throttles until it's centered.

My only complaint is it's pretty sensitive so it takes some practice to get the needle dead on. It works great though.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I like Faria too. They have a good quality product for the price point. Keep in mind that the Synch's accuracy (and tach's) is dependent on the quality of the signal to the gage. A typical installation piggy-backs off the tachs so ensure all existing connections at engines and tachs, and wiring are in good shape. Like the tachs, the synch will also have a selector switch that needs to be set according to engine application (4,6,8 cylinder).
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

Yeah, the Farias are the units I've been looking at. I've got a ton of dash space on my upper helm, and I've always thought a snchronizer of any sort was a good use of space, so that 3-4" gauge isn't really an issue to me.

From the researching I've been doing, it looks that, for my engines, the settings on most of the synchs would be the number 2 setting.

Thanks for the input.

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The instruction sheet will tell you the setting you you need. The link below is for Faria's links to manuals, installations, etc., some helpfull documents for diagnostics also. There is one for synchonizer installation but it doesn't have the switch setting. That should show in the documentation that comes with the gauge.

http://faria-instruments.com/manuals.php
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Hart
Sporadic User

Post by Hart »

Thanks for that, D.

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp