2013 Support of the site!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jordan
Sporadic User

2013 Support of the site!

Post by jordan »

When do we submit a donation to the site for 2013?

Lets keep this great site going!
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

I'm ready!
Season is short, we make the best of it.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Me too !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Rather than give the standard donation, I would like to purchase and donate a copy of v-Bulletin version 5. If the powers that be would like to make that transition, I would be more than happy to purchase and donate the software license. I think thats about the equivelant in dollars to 10 standard yearly membership donations.

http://www.vbulletin.com/
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I ready don't see much difference in the 2 . But the most important thing is Save whats here now , there is a lot of priceless info stored here .I would asume that the powers that be have looked at different options .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Commissionpoint
Active User

No disrespect Paul, but there is a whole LOT of difference between phpbb and vBulletin. First of all phpbb is open source freeware and vBulletin a paid license and is developed by software engineers who actually work for the company. From an admin standpoint phpbb is rinky-dink compared to VB. Additionally VB has a much cleaner code, is faster, more secure, and looks a lot more modern and professional, which is important if you want your community to grow and attract other good participants. Other things to consider are reliability and support when there is a glitch. VB crushes phpbb in both of those departments. Bottom line? phpbb is for small communities with no monetary resources and good hands on management by technically skilled people. vBulletin is for serious community forums that have a mind toward growth, the future, and protecting their members security and privacy. All of the years worth of posts and member contributions can be migrated over to VB easilly, so thats a red herring.

Sorry to dump my thoughts on the topic on you like that. I just thought if I could do something to help get us in a more secure and user friendly (not to mention faster and more attractive) environment I would be willing to do that. I'm not going to drop 250 bux on something to give away to trojanboats.net if thats not what the community wants though.

I know you are great with engines and mechanical things, but it seems that you still have a little homework left to do when it comes to forum software. This place has a lot of awesome people with a lot of great ideas and information to share. To leave it here in the dark ages with software that was in use when Trojans were still being produced is a little crazy if you ask me. Lets stick to old boats, thats what we all here seem to do best, but its time for some NEW software so we can keep talking about these OLD boats.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I will support the site however anybody wants......I don't think it is my place to tell the sponsor how to do it......I'll pay my $$ and appreciate this site....I don't see a technology problem here at all..............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

iN THE COMPUTER BUSINESS FOR 40 YEARS. WE DON,T NEED THE TECHNIOLOGY, WE NEED THE PARTICIPATION.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Well, gonna start losing participation if we stay in the dark ages. If another site should come along for Trojan owners (as there have been other in the past) they will eat our lunch. I would bet at least half of the members here were on a different Trojan site before this one. Some of them would go somewhere else if there was an option just because there was an option, and future owners would have a 50/50 shot of ending up here if there was any competition. Why shouldn't we position ourselves with a mind toward the future and those possibilities?

I could buy that copy of VB for myself and start my own Trojan site to prove a point if you folks don't beleive me, but I would rather just donate a software upgrade to trojanboats.net.

Whatever happens I know one thing. I'm once again refusing to give a dime to support the continued use of this antiquated format. Let the name calling begin. It won't change my mind. I have no sheep blood.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Hey! Commisionpoint. Have you ever given a donation! If not why not!
Commissionpoint
Active User

What are you on about with your 18 posts, 4 of which are in this thread? What information have you contributed here? Please don't make yourself into another problem poster here. I'm the village idiot and we don't need or want another.

I offered to donate, DONATE a software license, which means I alone pay and give away at no cost for the benefit of the community as a whole. What do you care what I do with my money? I want to give to the community and I am trying to see if I can negotiate a way to do that in a way I feel comfortable. If that can't happen, it can't happen. In the meantime please refrain from making obtuse comments on a topic you have not been here long enough to have an opinion that matters on. It seems in almost a year of being here you have taken away a lot more than you have contributed. 14 post before you started commenting here is a lot of reading and not enough thanking, or contributing to have an opinion on anything.
Last edited by Commissionpoint on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Lots of reading. Lots of info gathered. Lots of ideas for the future. many thanks to the people who have put up their ideas and money to support this site. Thanks to Beacon, Thanks to Members and non Contributors!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Lets calm down here . If someone choses to contribute or not lets not get in to a argument about it . Its a choice .

Its people that make this site not whether is hosted by phbb or v-bulletin , yahoo ( God forbid) what ever it really makes no difference . But the people do .

I don't think the host would make much difference to 99% of the folks here in a big way .

there have been other Trojan sites and this is the only one left . Why ? the people here and of course Bob and Don .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I really don't know anything about writing "code" and even less about setting up a forum like this but this venue seems to work. My other concern is members getting lost in the transition. The members make this forum what it is and that commodity needs to be protected. All that being said, I think it would be nice if we had a photo gallery section that was a little more front line and easy to access by model and or size.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

ha, you beat me to it Paul :shock: must have been typing at the same time
Doug

1977 F-32