What is my 78 F30 Worth????

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lawyerdave71
Moderate User

What is my 78 F30 Worth????

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I hate to ask.

I will not like the answer. My F30 flybridge express is in great shape. New carbs, starters, props, cutlass bearings, new window stainless steel tracks from beacon marine, new front glass windows, new canvass, awesome brand new trojan decals from beacon marine, new carpet, modern upholestery, new upholestered Trojan chairs for captain and companion, new teak platform, not to mention teak work worthy of a best in show prize, awesome raymarine autopilot, new gps chartplotter, a depth sounder for an ocean not lake michigan. Everything rebedded. Nearly forgot, a Bose stereo system!

There is an awesome F30 flybridge express in Michigan. . . A 1978 same year as mine. A year ago it was listed at 14K now it is listed at 7,500.

I say this as I would gladly trade boats as boat in Michigan has like 900 hours.

Whereas The Charlie has 2000 hrs, but you can lick her or his engines (I always call it a her) and she runs great. She easily did 24 knots last summer.

Crap forgot, brand new brazillian wood spray rails! How my marina managed to do this, I don't wanna know as I know it was hard to do which I know by the Bill!

I ask because my dock buddies tell me to sell.

And there is a sweet 1978 F36 @ my marina with 900 hrs. Never been fished or chartered.

But engines are not lickable like mine and the asking price is 25,200 which I know I can get cheaper. . . Especially if she sits on land this summer.
!

F36 versus F30. . . . Its a major difference!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
alexander38
Ultimate User

Re: What is my 78 F30 Worth????

Post by alexander38 »

things to think about..2k on gas engines is a bit BUT have they been taken care of the whole time, if so you can get alot more out of them, 900 hrs and not taken care of could = out to P.O.S.

What's you F30 worth hard telling in this market ? What your need is sets this today, Do you need to sell do to income it's a low price, want to move up priced for what you can get...I'm looking at 2 Viking 42' Aft Cabins one is 70k the other is 110k same boat model same yr. One needs to dump the other wants a RV...
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Dave. 12 grand and run like a criminal.

Tony. 44 Trojan aft cabin. At least if you're gonna get another wash tub, get a classy one. :shock: :wink:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 78681&url=

There is a few others out there for sale right now, but I like this one best.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

44 FT w/ gas ugh .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Nice boat but there are a few issues with the specs as usual; they got Chrysler right but they are not 880 HP, and they are not 7.4 lt. I also suspect the drive type is not V Drive.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Don't listen to CP. If you think what you have is total crap, or it's a fire sale, or you are an arrogant ******** with more money than brains, then go ahead and follow his recommendations. If you want true value, then find a reasonable price given comparables (there are lots out there), and stick to your guns. If you want more money - bring it to Canada and sell it from here - since apparently we pay 30% more for everything and anything - even stuff that is made here!

What you can get depends on if you want it gone within 4 weeks, or you don't give a crap if it takes a year or two but you want true value out of it. What is destroying the used boat market is the idiots who bought in without having a clue what they were getting into, who then decided that using craigslist or ebay to sell within 10 days made sense so they could make their next 3 or 4 mortgage payments. Then the *market* starts to think an F30 or F32 is only worth 10K. I sold a 1987 26' Four Winns Liberator for 2K less than I bought it for, after owning it for 8 years. I bought it in '93 for $30K, and sold it in 2002 for $28K. It took 2 years from when I first listed it, but I got my price. AND that was true value of the boat. AND I had the pleasure of using it through the entire time it was for sale (which I would have anyways). AND the new owner also sprung the cash to buy a custom trailer for it.

If you give it away, you just "F" the rest of us. I have said this a zillion times on the forum, but it amazes me how many people just don't get it, or don't give a crap. If there is a shotgun to your head I can understand you gotta do what you gotta do. If not .... your call.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="Commissionpoint"]Dave. 12 grand and run like a criminal.

Tony. 44 Trojan aft cabin. At least if you're gonna get another wash tub, get a classy one. :shock: :wink:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 78681&url=

There is a few others out there for sale right now, but I like this one best.[/quote]

Wouldn't 12k be under ? Sounds like a dump price ?

F44 with GAS ! No way...I'd go broke just getting that pig on plane ! And docking her in a cross wind with low torque gas engines with Michelle on the bow nope wouldn't do that to her....or myself and it's over priced due to the gas engines
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Geared and propped right docked would be no issue . But really thats a not important as you won't be able afford to leave the dock often with gas anyway . A boat that size needs Diesels if its going to be used much .

Back to Dave you know what you have ,with another boat you don't . Hours don't mean much to me as its rare to wear out a marine eng . Time and lack of use takes a bigger toll . Unless the the other boat is a lot nicer keep what you have unless you want to move up .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I wouldnt sell it cheap cheap!

Here in the midwest, there are tons and tons of used boats for sale - that is the problem.

And gas is a major problem, its 2/7 and we are almost up to $4.00 a gallon for car gas!!

Right now there are several F32s on the market for $15k to $18K and F36s on the market from $6k to $28k although the later 80 models are in the $40k to $50k range.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

New postby prowlersfish on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 am

Geared and propped right docked would be no issue . But really thats a not important as you won't be able afford to leave the dock often with gas anyway . A boat that size needs Diesels if its going to be used much .

in my comment about low torque engines , The meaning in that is. Gas engines have smaller Props and less pitch there fore needs more RPM at the prop to react and are a little more snappy when the prop bites in due to the higher RPM. And moving a 44'> boat like that with my Wife that now weighs in at 131 lbs I'll pass on that, As far as gas burn heck I'm used to that being 44' the hull speed is higher than my 36'...and as we know 8's in my average speed...
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thats why I said geared and proped right ( many are not) . With the right gear reduction you can get more torque to wheel and use a bigger wheel . I ran a 38 pacemaker with 440 mopars 24X24 wheels I am running 22x22 with diesels . But the pacemaker was a exception . Most builders would go with less reduction and smaller wheels like 20x20 . its all about saving money wheels cost less and of course smaller shaft . I don't remember for sure what the reduction was but I think it was around 2.75 or so to 1 . That boat felt like a diesel around the dock but not the fuel dock , for sure .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Last spring I sold my F26 for $9600 and it was not in nearly as good a shape as yours sounds. The key to selling here for what she's worth is to do a good job of SELLING HER! It spounds dumb but your ads need to have tons of info- in a clear and concise, readable presentation-m buullet points work well. Also it needs to have tons of pictures, clear well lit closeups and panoramas. They need to be embedded in your cl ad, so that when a prospect clicks on your ad, all the pictures load below your written description, so they can scroll down thru them. like stripermans year end review pics. Ypou need to get someone to fall in love with your boat and then pay you what its worth.
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

As Double R said, if you really want to sell your boat, you have to sell it. get all of YOUR crap off of the boat, clean it top to bottom, and when you take photos, get everything out of the way, no dishes in the sink, the counters completely empty,if you have a microwave sitting on an open counter, remove it, they take up counter space and it always looks like an afterthought or out of place, clean bare dinette table, no pictures, fishing poles, throw rugs, blankets, empty all of the drawers, cabinets and hanging lockers,get rid of any female neccesities from the head, make up your loose dock lines and anchor rodes and put them in neat clean plastic storage bins and put them away in your lazarette or other out of the way storage area, it'll be a nice surprise when the open that area up, make the beds nice and tight, and wash the boat often to keep it clean, if you are expecting to show it, open it up an hour before they get there so it smells fresh. I bought a couple of those automatic air fresheners that sprays every so often, I put one in the forward cabin and one under the berths in the cabin, and set it to the longest between sprays mode, the boat smelled clean and fresh, but not like perfume. Trust me, all of those favorite memories on your boat that are memorialized by personal stuff is a huge negative to a perspective buyer, it's no offence, but people want to invision their lives and thier stuff on the boat, not yours.

I took my own advice and I sold our F-32 in less than a week for thousands more than two other F-32's that were for sale in San Diego, and they are still for sale today. The common comments with the people that looked at the boat was, "it's so clean" "hey honey look, it doesnt look like a homeless person lives on this boat!" "wow, it dosent have that awful smell of the other boats we looked at" "babe, look at all of the room in this boat, and there isnt a weeks worth of dirty dishes in the sink ha ha ha ha ha" "look at all of the storage" and my favorite.. we'll take it!
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Which boat would you rather buy? same boat, but a little clean up goes a long way. the before photos were the broker photos when we bought the F-32 !

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Good points Gettaway. Clean and uncluttered cannot be over emphasized. And Bright , well lit pictures are a must. Check my old ad here https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2867726732
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF