it's a Carver thing Your lucky....

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

alexander38
Ultimate User

it's a Carver thing Your lucky....

Post by alexander38 »

Well I worked outside today is was in the low 50's and had a good wind, so I started grinding out blisters ! Yes blisters ! I popped around 15 of the in November when I hauled so today I went digging them out. The P.O. had some work done in the past as I found out ! 13 of them had been worked on in the past, Needless to say the Sailor talk was a flyin' if you ever heard a pissed Type A sailor.. :roll: So 5 hrs in to grinding they're almost all dug out and now for faring them back so I can fill them in AGAIN right...I think it was the first time I've seen dry hand laid glass.... :twisted: I'll post some pic's soon I know I know Trojans don't get these things....Your LUCKY...
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: it's a Carver thing Your lucky....

Post by prowlersfish »

Not Comon on a trojan but it can happen . Look at the bright side you don't have a uniflite . Many a good boat can get them .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

alexander38 wrote:....I know I know Trojans don't get these things....
WRONG!

I've repaired a few; F30, F32, 40MY, 11m, and trying to convince a few more to do the same; 2 x F36, a Tri, and a 12m MY, but $$$. Every OEM has their bad lay-up days. Some more than others though. Always a good a idea to inspect your hull periodically even if you think the OEM's hulls have a good reputation.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

My brother''s 1977 F32 had a few. So yes, they get them.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

aaaw, I feel better now... :D I think setting in the water for about 11 yrs with short hauls for paint helped them form as well as voids and dry glass. I found one in the bow that was both. Lots of glass and vinyl going in that one :cry:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Mine has a few after 19 years in the water full time wit the P.O.

They are GONE now !

EXORCISIZED

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Layup is part of it, care and maintenance by the owner is the other part. If you don't use an appropriate antifouling or barrier coat, you drastically increase odds of osmosis.

I have seen people decide that they are going to stretch 1 gallon of the cheapest antifouling they can buy to cover the whole bottom, and expect it to last for 3-4 years. I have seen some try to stretch 1 or 2 quarts! They get problems (surprise, surprise!) They also don't care about their problems, because apparently that is the next owner's problem.

With the right protection, most hulls (on well built boats) will be fine. With extra protection, most hulls on boats that might not have been that well built will be fine. Strip it all down, add a barrier coat, then good antifouling, and stay on top of it, and the problems will go away.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

I've got pic to load ...I'll do later today...

and she's a well made boat.. :mrgreen:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

well here's the Blisters, I filled them over the past few days just have 3 to go... :)

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... y/Blisters
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Wow, just a coupla small ones , eh? Yikes. You gonna strip down to gelcoat the whole bottom and redo/add a barrier coat. Also, I saw your boats sisters ip yesterday. Man what a nice boat.
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="DOUBLE R"]Wow, just a coupla small ones , eh? Yikes. You gonna strip down to gelcoat the whole bottom and redo/add a barrier coat. Also, I saw your boats sisters ip yesterday. Man what a nice boat.[/quote]

Nope not going to strip her down, thought about it for a long time. "But" there's a down side to doing that, I'd need a dry place to store her and dry her out real good. I also found that almost all of the blisters were old one's that were not repaired right and grew from half-ass work and the over use of epoxy fillers instead of using vinylester and 1708 bi-axle and mat. That's the biggest reason the the new work is so large I took the old stuff out, when I was grinding on her you could see where if they first repair stopped short of getting the bad glass the first time. I found only 3 new ones. I've also seen the results of stripping the gel-coat off the re-doing it and barrier coat on a boat that did get dried out enough and boy that wasn't a nice sight, it looked like a 100 yr old face it wrinkled up so bad. And striping the bottom paint off and then barrier coating the old gel-coat could just lock any water in to her. I'm going to go with the fix as I find them approach.

"Also, I saw your boats sisters ip yesterday. Man what a nice boat." :?: :?

and thanks for showing an interest :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Unless you have lots of blisters I would not strip the bottom . You could make it a lot worse . Many boats that have had it done get the blisters back . Even the best pros seem to have issues . Good prep is the key . I believe a lot of repairs fail due to lack of drying time . who wants to miss a season ? I will disagree about epoxy being a cause ( assuming the right epoxy was used and used right) If I had some most likely west system would be my choice ,But nothing wrong with using vinylester also a good choice .

If am looking a boat and it had a few blisters ,it would not scare me . But if had the gel coat striped and a new barrier coat done I would walk away , No I would run .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

prowlersfish wrote:....Good prep is the key....I believe a lot of repairs fail due to lack of drying time...I will disagree about epoxy being a cause...
BINGO!!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

I'll not get in to the whole epoxy thing, I just think it's over used like 5200...IMO :wink:

Prep, Is always #1 and not doing it will lead to failure for sure. Today I finished glassing the last of them. Now tomorrow the weather is going to suck so I'll have to wait to start fairing in..
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

captainmaniac wrote: I have seen people decide that they are going to stretch 1 gallon of the cheapest antifouling they can buy to cover the whole bottom, and expect it to last for 3-4 years.

HA HA HA HA SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT ME! Truth be told - the cheap stuff doesnt last one season!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express