City of Charleston Marina

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Diverted Income
Moderate User

City of Charleston Marina

Post by Diverted Income »

Anybody keep their boat there? I have some friends on the way to check it out as future live aboard location.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: City of Charleston Marina

Post by Stripermann2 »

Capt Ross I believe, is down that way, which marina...I don't know. But he should be able to advise when he sees your post.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

We have friends that keep their boat there. Nice place. The only thing I don't like is you can not have anything on the dock. Yes chairs, grills nothing. That would be a cramp for liveaboard. Looked at a F-36 there a time back. Gets expensive, I believe that time it was around 750 month with diver for bottom cleaning. Tight spaces also and a strong current runs through it. The entertaining is not good because you have to do it on the boat. People have said Ashley Marina is better, I don't know haven't been there. Folly beach, which is not far from there might be a better place for liveaboard situation. The marina there is pretty good for that. I have a friend who stays there for the summer then sails to Key West for the winter. He was trying to get me to come there. If I go further south it will be Jax, FL.
Jack
Hartwell Marina, Hartwell GA.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

City Marina is OK - lots of rules as noted (and no help at fuel dock). Salty Mike's pub (and Marina Veriety Store restaurant - great breakfast) is there - Key West style ... only bar on the water in downtown Charleston.

What kind of boat? Ashley River Marina (right next door, just upstream) is a bit nicer IMO - and more open with their rules. Helpful at fuel dock. Both have strong currents, but are manageable - but not for beginners to learn in.

I love Ripley Light - completely dredged now - and NO current. Easy fuel fill up. But not easy access to walk to downtown - so not the best live-aboard location.

Patriots Point is nice on the Mt P side of the harbor (my side), but again no quick access to downtown Chucktown, except by water taxi (regular runs, but maybe not at night).

Right now, there is a shortage of Slips in Charleston - have a friend on list for a month now for his 25 ... I keep my boat at my dock behind the house on Hobcaw Creek - just above the Ravenel Bridge.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17