Boat Handling and POD systems

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

srokag44
Sporadic User

Re: Boat Handling and POD systems

Post by srokag44 »

Seafarer is a sweet looking yacht Doug, I would love to come for a ride but $42k/week isn't quite in my budget. Any chance there's a Trojan boat owners discounted rate?
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

srokag44 wrote:Seafarer is a sweet looking yacht Doug, I would love to come for a ride but $42k/week isn't quite in my budget. Any chance there's a Trojan boat owners discounted rate?
Yes there is , only 41k a week but its BYOB
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:
srokag44 wrote:Seafarer is a sweet looking yacht Doug, I would love to come for a ride but $42k/week isn't quite in my budget. Any chance there's a Trojan boat owners discounted rate?
Yes there is , only 41k a week but its BYOB
i'll bring the pussers!! and the newcastle ale!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

The 42K is just for the boat. dockage, food, fuel, crew tip, and booze is extra. On average a one week trip is about 70K

I just did a 3 day with some Russians and the wine bill was 7,480.00!!

I am sure I could get that down a bit for a Trojanboats.net member but you need to talk to Aaron for the free plane tickets :D
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

sehord wrote:While we are taught to always plan for failure, electronics have become so reliable that the new era of POD drivers will look good for years to come. And Kudos to them too, because I dont have to worry so much about them slamming into me at the dock!
Well... yes you do. SkyHook and similar 'techologies' are going to kill a lot of people. Advertised by the sales guys as 'just push a button the the boat won't move'.... but it's all based on GPS positioning. GPS accuracy is not 100%. GPS signals vary based on surrounding interference. Your GPS position ALWAYS wanders... even if only 2-3'.

So, the next time a 50+ POD dude hits 'skyhook' or similar feature, then leaves his boat to deal with his lines (knowing that the boat won't go anywhere), and the boat suddenly launches 3' sideways into yours... don't say you weren't warned! The next time someone hops off his boat after engaging Skyhook and then notices a fender in the water, so leans down between the boat and the dock and gets crushed... don't say you weren't warned.

If you don't learn basic boat handling, if you can't manage basic boat handling, if you can only function safely if a computer is doing everything for you, you shouldn't be on the water. Same concept with electronic charts. If you are completely reliant on your GPS and chartplotter, and don't know how to get back to port if they fail, you are a reckless boater.
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I like the skyhook (station keeping) idea. They claim its good for 10 to 12 ft. Would this work next to a dock? No, and only a fool would try it but it would come in handy while you are waiting for a bridge or a fuel dock. Ships have been using DP for years so its only a matter of time before the yachts get it.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

summer storm wrote:I like the skyhook (station keeping) idea. They claim its good for 10 to 12 ft. Would this work next to a dock? No, and only a fool would try it but it would come in handy while you are waiting for a bridge or a fuel dock.
If the sales guys described it that way I wouldn't have a problem with it. But they just say "Hit the button and the boat won't move!"...
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

So thats what that guy was doing. He had a 45 Cruiser and was doing is own lines while the boat stayed stationary. That guy never owned a boat before either.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i will never forget the conversation i had with my dad after i phil bought me a gps for our 32. he was, to say the least, remotely pissed. i reassured him that i also have 'paper' charts as a back up although my chart reading skills are a little rusty at best.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:So thats what that guy was doing. He had a 45 Cruiser and was doing is own lines while the boat stayed stationary. That guy never owned a boat before either.
============================================================

Now that's very scary.

reminds me of my introduction to boating - and it was NOT a good one

A former close relative bought his first boat, a 36' Sea Ray Aft Cabin motoryacht for use in SW Florida's waters.

mid 1980's

This was a first boat, a custom ordered, brand spankin new boat with every conceivable option except the engines were undersized and no genny. Otherwise she had all the bells and whistles.

he did all the right things and had all the best intentions, including taking the USCG intro course.

his son had many hours of experience with a 19' ski boat on a lake

every outing was an event for the father & son to argue on how to "do" things.

they never figured out how to anchor out but that is whole different story.

I remember going from a bay into a narrow channel portion of the intercoastal waterway - a well posted no wake zone.

we went through at planning speed and people along the shore were yelling at us to slow down.

Both the owner and son honestly believed that they were so impressed with the boat that they must have been cheering !

I was not a boater, just a passenger who knew how to check the batteries and oil and knew no different

this is a TRUE STORY

those experiences kept me away from boats for a few years.

The truth is that simply having adequate funding to buy the nicest boat you can does not translate into any kind of boat handling skills.

Good seamanship is not something that comes out of a book or a 3 hour course.

I got mine from smaller boats and a true education on two different on line forums where more experienced boaters shared experience with me.

Besides that, I have also made numerous mistakes of my own and have learned many valuable lessons on what NOT to do.

so, IMHO all the pods, joysticks, plotters, radars, autopilots, night vision systems, and all the other high tech crap cannot replace knowledge and experience, PERIOD

ok that's my rant for today.......

NEXT ?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED