Fixing AC air flow issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AndyF32
Sporadic User

Fixing AC air flow issue

Post by AndyF32 »

The boat has a 16k unit in it and a vent on the counter top and one in the V birth. I was getting flow thru only 1/2 of the vent in the salon and very low air flow to the V birth. Upon taking it apart I found that it had sharp bends in the duct to the salon.The V birth duct came out the bottom of a tee on the unit and then made a 180 degree turn to head up into the galley cupboard to go aft.

After looking for a plenum that would work in the limited space I have and allow a 6" and 4" split right at the unit I decided to build my own.

Last edited by AndyF32 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Fixing AC air flow issue

Post by larryeddington »

From an old HVAC guy, you did good, great job of fabrication. Each system is custom fabricated for the location whether boat, house or what ever and it looks like you think out of the box. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Nice job Andy.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

Thanks Larry and Paul.

That is an example of what I call redneck engineering... you just "Get er done" whatever it takes.

I will be adding a vent in the head. Probably wait until next winter to do that. Put the boat back together tonight and just want to finish up a few more things before the new carpet goes in.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

It's nice to see folks take the time to make something that does what needs to be done, rather than kluge crap together from the shelves of Home Depot. And by "Not pretty, but functional," I am sure that you mean that you carefully selected the surface texture and specifically designed the location of the vertices to delay boundary layer separation, paying full attention to the Navier-Stokes equations and other thermodynamic considerations, without regard to aesthetics -- right? I thought so. If you'd painted it black it would like the (factory made) exhaust combiner on my tricabin. Good luck with the head vent when you get around to it!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!