Aquatemp Air conditioner help needed

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

7421f

Aquatemp Air conditioner help needed

Post by 7421f »

My 11 meter express has an Aquatemp LB-16T-1 reverse cycle A/C. Recently I turned it on and my MCCK 6500 generator died under the load. Nothing else was running from the gender. The A/C unit's reset button popped, but the breaker on the panel did not. I checked everything electrical with a meter and found the compressor not receiving electrical current. Found that the solid state relay had failed. Compressor meters out good as does run capacitor. I have ordered new relay and a hard start capacitor as it did not previously have one. Any thoughts as to why it would had such a load as to kill my generator? The generator runs fine and powers everything without a problem. It had previously run the ac even though it strained a bit starting the compressor. I would like to find ab owners manual for the Aquatemp which is no longer manufactured.
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Aquatemp Air conditioner help needed

Post by larryeddington »

Short cycle will over amp without a start relay and start capacitor, notice I am referring to start circuit. Most have the run capacitor and not true starting setup as they are expected to be off long enough for pressures to equalize, ergo ez start.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Many marine A/C units use both a start and a run capacitor . So there are 2 .

How quick it the breaker poping ? If its not in the first few seconds make sure you flowing water
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
7421f

Post by 7421f »

Water is flowing and fan was running, but compressor not coming on after killing the generator. Compressor relay was not supplying power to compressor after the incident. Test showed relay was fried, compressor and run capacitor showed electrically good.
Tim
Big Blue 454's

7421f

Post by 7421f »

***UPDATE***
I have located the problem and repaired it. I replaced the solid state relay and added a Supco SPP6 Hard Start Capacitor and the compressor came to life! I would recommend to anyone with an A/C that does not have a starting capacitor to add one. Wow, what a difference in the compressor start-night and day. Thanks to all that responded. I am now one cool Trojan owner:)
Tim
Big Blue 454's

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Hard start circuit should be on all acs IMO
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
gmileskiy

Post by gmileskiy »

I also have an Aquatemp AC in my 1983 Trojan Intl 10M - in fact, two of them: one in lower main salon and one in upper cabin.
Any idea of anyone who might service them here in Wyandotte / Gibralter MI area? Compressor works in lower salon but the digi-temp controller wasn't kicking on anymore. I have the wiring diagram and a second unit from the upper main cabin, that I have switched out but themostat stays at 60 and doesn't adjust. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would just contact any good marine AC guy. The basics should be the same regardless of brand. I don't think Aquatemp is still around. I also don't believe it was installed by Trojan as they used Cruisair and Lunaire. Check with your marina to see who they recommend.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D