Southern Ontario Memebers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

blair

Southern Ontario Memebers

Post by blair »

Anyone interested in a Regatta this Summer?
There seems to be a solid number of members from Ontario, so let's see if we can get together.
I would suggest July/August, somewhere on the Trent, central to most of us I would think. My marina is too small (less than 15 slips) to host, but the lock is about 200 meters away and usually can accommodate transients. Young's Point lock is well-serviced, with a general store/liquor store/beer store within 50 meters of the lock :D happyours - just tell Bill to slap a Trojan sticker on his Mainship trawler and he can come, too!
Comments? Suggestions?
Any input would be appreciated
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Southern Ontario Memebers

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

We are on Simcoe at Lagoon City. 1st week of August would work for US.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

How long do you think it would take to get to Youngspoint from Georgian Bay,lock 45 with all the new rules in the TSW----sounds interesting---Mike
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi

I wonder how big a deal that would be for me, coming up the Trent to Youngs Point from Rideau Ferry on the Rideau Canal system. Anyone ever done it?

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
blair

Post by blair »

This might happen!
Mike - We brought Impulsive down the Trent when we bought her.We started out from Waubushine,entered at Severn Falls and made it to Thorah in the first day. With the reduced hours it would take one more day to make Youngs Point,assuming you are dealing with the longer hours on the weekend.

Rick - I dont know how long it takes to make Lake Ontario from the Rideau but add two days to go from Trenton through Peterborough and on to Youngs Point.

I'm totally open to picking a spot central to most of us. Any one else?
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
Happy Ours

Post by Happy Ours »

This sounds like a great idea, Blair I talked to Bill and he's willing to put a Trojan name on his boat for this get together lol, he says hi, also if anyone needs to figure out lock prices and the time it takes to travel from your starting point to destination, the trent severn web site has a tool for this check it out works well.
1977 F32
1975 F26 sold
AT Young's Point in the Kawartha Lakes on the
Trent Severn Waterway
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

I really like this idea,looks like about 4 days for us but could be part of holiday----- there are a few on the bay---- TC I know you are out there,Jimbo any ideas?----- one thing I remember from years ago ,it is two days min towing dink from Trenton to Rice Lake----- Let's see---- Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I might be interested depending on timing and location (would have to make the trip a part of our vacation). If we really pushed it we could get there in 3 long days - about 8 hours cruising Hamilton to Trenton, plus a fuel stop along the way Cobourg; then 2 days up the Trent... When we bought the boat we brought it down from Lake Simcoe, and did the trip down from Lakefield to Trenton in 2 days, so I am guessing two days pushing it to go up as well. 26 locks in 2 days is a LOT if you aren't used to it.

Here's a thought for you re destination : Reach Harbour Marina on Lower Buckhorn ... The in-laws used to have a cottage on Deer Bay. Reach Harbour (used to be Marjon marina I think) seemed to be a big F32 hangout - there were at least 3 of them that were resident at the marina. Don't know if they are all still there, but if a flotilla of F32s and other similar vintage Trojans descended on the place they would probably think they were under some kind of attack!

Here's a pic from their web site - you can see 3 or 4 F32s lined up in the background.

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac , going to Hijack this for bit . I noticed all 4 trojans and evey other boat on that side of the peir is docked Bow in . But on the other side they are all stern in .All boat are bow to shore . Is there a reson for this ? I know some areas there is a trend one way ore the other but never noticed it like that on one peir .

Now to get this back on track . Trojan get togethers are a lot of fun everyone has something in common , And I belive boaters make better people :D If you all can do it go for it !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote:captainmaniac , going to Hijack this for bit . I noticed all 4 trojans and evey other boat on that side of the peir is docked Bow in . But on the other side they are all stern in .All boat are bow to shore . Is there a reson for this ? I know some areas there is a trend one way ore the other but never noticed it like that on one peir .

Now to get this back on track . Trojan get togethers are a lot of fun everyone has something in common , And I belive boaters make better people :D If you all can do it go for it !

Wow ,how did you notice that,very observant,it sure is sort of odd to see everyone in that orientation, just a guess but probably the view ,setting sun etc,I know I tend to do that--- Mike
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Me observant ? Just felt like all the boats on that peir where looking at me. LOL
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:Me observant ? Just felt like all the boats on that peir where looking at me. LOL
Remember - just because you are paranoid doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you!

Good observation, though. Their transoms are pointing NE, so it could be sun related if they are trying to keep the afternoon and evening sun off the salon doors (or canvas on the part of the express cruiser guys). Other possibilities are water depth (keep the props an rudders in the deepest water), the view (watching all the traffic going by), or ease of manouvering... the google maps satellite shot shows the same behaviour and that it might be a bit tight to get to the inner slips, but the other shot on their site is not consistent...

Happy Ours

Post by Happy Ours »

Before I moved to Sturgeon lake marina I was at Reach Harbour I moved to Sturgeon Lake spring 2013, depending on how many boats attend I am doubtful Reach Harbour can handle to many extra boats, but I could call Norm or Jamie the owners and ask, would have to know how many will be attending, it is a full serice marina, gas, pump out 15 and 30 amp service, mechanic, fire pit, barbecues, washrooms ,showers and so on . Their was two trojans myself and one other when I was there. As for all the boats pointing bow in the view is really nice looking out over the lake and to keep the late day sun out as was previously stated, also on the opposite side depends on how long the boat is fore getting on and off. On the centre dock the picture with the house boat, that dock is to shallow to back into. As for restuarants and liquor store the closest is at Buckhorn lock not walkable, it is approx 2 kms by water and 6 kms oneway walking, can tie up at the bottom of the lock without going thru and walk up to the restaurants and liquor store if needed. Anyway I hope this works out sounds like a good time and good people what else can we ask for.
1977 F32
1975 F26 sold
Trent Severn Waterway
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Don't get me wrong - not trying to force anything here. I just remembered this marina being close the area originally suggested, and seeing tons of Trojans in there before.

If more space is needed, I know the marina on Little Lake (Peterborough) is a good size to handle lots of transients (and is right downtown although LCBO is still a distance - Peterborough is just designed stupid...). Or a destination like Belleville or Cobourg (right downtown and 2 blocks to LCBO!) may even allow northern NY and Thousand Islands folks to participate as well (and make it easier for me!). In any event, worst case scenario is that I could probably show up by car if it's too onerous to get the boat there. Youngs Point area would be about $3 grand in fuel round trip.
Happy Ours

Post by Happy Ours »

Reach Harbour January 12 2014
Attachments
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
video.jpg (101.88 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Last edited by Happy Ours on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 F32
1975 F26 sold
Trent Severn Waterway