Raw water strainers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peacock

Raw water strainers

Post by Peacock »

On our 1977 F44, the raw water strainers for the 6-71's are positioned horizontally instead of vertical. This means anytime the strainer is opened for basket cleaning, the whole contents of the strainer are emptied into the bilge. I've never seen these positioned horizontal. I'm thinking of having them re-positioned when the thru hulls are replaced this spring. Has anyone seen non-vertical strainers? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Larry
1977 F44 Motor Yacht 6-71N
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: Raw water strainers

Post by Stripermann2 »

Can't say I have.

The outlet of the strainer should be at the highest point as well. Otherwise, there will always be an air pocket in the strainer. Depending on how much you run the engines, this pocket could be insignificant. Sounds like with a few plumbing elbows, you could correct this set-up?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

I have a 36 ft Hatteras that has the A/C and Gen strainers mounted horizontal. I would prefer vertical but mine were installed horizontal because of height constraints. Only issue is, as you said dumping the water in the strainers, and sometimes lining up the basket. I have a antifreeze jug cut in half the long way to capture the water.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Our Silverton 37C has Groco 1250 Strainers that are mounted with the basket in the horizontal position, same issue, open the strainer, dumps the water into the bilge, but it works
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Lean Wolf

Post by Lean Wolf »

Hey Larry,
Mine are mounted vertically next to the seacocks.
Drew
Drew
1979 Trojan F44, Detroit 6-71's
Chopped 47 Ford, 460 CI