engine/marine gear oil ?'s

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: engine/marine gear oil ?'s

Post by larryeddington »

Big trucks use a lot of diesel fuel as well but does not seem to keep the price down. :(
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Lawman wrote:. My question is why is diesel oil so much cheaper??? I can go to Wally World and get a gallon of Delvac for $12

<*))))>{

Good question A few years back you would have asked why is Diesel oil so high . Diesel oils have gone up some but gas oils has jumped way up . My thoughts are this . Lets start with the ZINC , Yes good old ZINK . With todays newer gas engines and their more and more efficient Catalytic Converters , The Zinc was do be greatly reduced along with other additive's . Now you can't just remove it and be done with it .You have to come up with new additive's These cost more to develop and use . Also the oils need to work with the newer fuels like E-10 and E-85 . With every change there is tests and more tests . This adds to costs greatly . The EPA pushing for better and better mpg , so car makers are demanding oils the reduce friction more and more .

Yes diesel oils have changed but to no degree that gas oils have to meet the latest specs .
larryeddington wrote:Big trucks use a lot of diesel fuel as well but does not seem to keep the price down. :(
Just the opposet the more demand the higher the price . China has greatly increased Its demand for diesel so the price has gone through the roof and of course the removal of sulfur that was going to only add 3-4 cents per gal of fuel yet it jumped up 50 cents .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Interesting article about Zinc in oil, states connected with Joe Gibbs Racing

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro ... motor-oil/
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

larryeddington wrote:Interesting article about Zinc in oil, states connected with Joe Gibbs Racing

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro ... motor-oil/
Two statements to think about from that link

"While you may think the whole Zinc issue has been beaten like a dead horse,"
Yup

"That’s right. Zinc is not alone in your motor oil. Several other additives like detergents, dispersants, viscosity index improvers, and others all compete against the Zinc inside your engine – sometimes with negative consequences."
That why I say no additive

Diesel oils are typically 10W-40""
never

And That's really AD for Joe Gibbs Racing oil . We don't have racing cams and high spring pressure Dam I wish Joe would come back to Foot Ball (HTTR) :mrgreen:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Humm - might try Mobil Delvac 15-40 (but not from Wally World - I refuse to shop there) ... but not sure it gains much over the Rotella-T 15W-40 I have used for years with no problems. I go through about10-15 gallons per year, and usually find it on sale at O'Reilly's.

Always hard to find a good objective report from sonmeone with no sales agenda.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

$12.15 a gal at Sams ($72.88 for a 6pack case) for Rottela . Just back with a few .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I tried Rotella 2 seasons ago on my 270 crusaders and it was an ABsolute nightmare!!! Oil pressure gauges were all over the place on plane, often dipping just below 20psi, which I had never seen before on this boat. Even changed the oil after 10 hrs but no difference. A bud who used to build marine race engines advised Mobil straight Syn and now they purr like never before.....I've been in the engine room at WOT and not one ding, ping or knock. Plus now both engines sync exactly perfect!
RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Strange ,You must have had other issues , no brand of motor oil would cause that . low oil level or over filled can. But I don't think that was the case as I Believe you would have gotten that correct .

Strange things happen sometimes .

Mobile syn is good oil .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

I've been running Mobil 1 15w-50 in the mid-80s Mercedes diesels we still drive, with no issues. As I recall, when I started using it, that was the synthetic that Mercedes approved. Mobil 1 is now available in 10W-30 and 10W-40, and that might be preferable for gas engines, although I'm thinking the 50W (15W-50) could also be good for summer use in my F26 305 (1980). I really don't run the boat a whole lot (always intend to get out more often), so thinking synthetic might be good between seasonal changes, but no real reason other than the good record I've had with the old diesels. Anybody running Mobil 1?
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker