thinking of getting a portable AC unit

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

thinking of getting a portable AC unit

Post by dfg4240 »

Went to lowes and saw a few and I was thinking along the lines of a 10,000 btu. Today I was at the boat for awhile and the Kingaire 19K owner installed unit just does not do the job.
The air is ice cold but you have to be close to it to feel it and if you keep the door closed-naturally it will cool a little but not Like I think it should.
Just does not have enough oomph for me.
I think a 10k unit should do it or maybe a 12k but I think 12 might be to much.
being portable -I can always remove it if I sell the boat or what ever.
I know this kingaire unit is installed under the dinette seat but it is not done right and I should fix it but I still don't think it will cool on a real hot day.Seems like the air should be coming out a lot faster.
Tomorrow when I go I will look at it again.
One more question-If I put another marine unit in there on the oposite of the dinette can I tap off of the water intake from the one already installed?
I mean put a y connector in the line or a t connector.

dfg4240
Do you guys think 10K portable will be enough?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: thinking of getting a portable AC unit

Post by prowlersfish »

I would look at fixing the 19k unit . Maybe a poor install . The portable units are ok BUT , the problem with them they use air to cool the condenser like a home or window unit and that would be OK expect the condenser is inside the boat . So the hot air is exhausted out side ( through a exhaust hose ) Well when that hot air is blown out , hot outside air is pulled back in . So they will work but there are not very efficient . Perhaps using the 19k and the portable to boost it may work .

I asume you have twin 30 amp service ? you will need to hook up the portable unit on the oposte curkit of the main unit . both on the same side would over load it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

right-I have twin 30 amp. I have not ruled out another marine unit.I would put it under the seat in the dinette on the bedroom side and go up through the back wall there with a double vented output.
one register in the dinette and the other into the bedroom,then I would rearrange the 19K one so that both or one large register goes into the salon but I want to make sure the cold air return draws from the salon-The higher up the better.
I would want at least another 12K marine unit.
dfg4240
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mine has 2 12k units . Both are under the lower helm . Later F36 used a 16k and a 8k unit . ( still under the helm ) ( remote units)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
drjohn71a

Post by drjohn71a »

In my last 3 boats, I've used a De Longhi 11,000 BtU portable with great success. It uses TWO outside air hoses, an I takand an outlet. It's been faster than the installed units. The main reason I use this unit is the low amp start rotary compressor, which can start as low as 8.5 Amps, if I remember correctly. My gensets, 2k & 2.5 K, have been too small to start a standard A/C unit. For starting, I've just set this , forward of the galley blowing aft, upon a Matt on the forward bunk, held by a heavy rubber Bungee cord. It bows hard clear back to the dinette.

The problem with most installed A/Cs , to me, is that they don't have high ducts, so your head bakes while your legs freeze.

Also, the portables have a "dehumidify" setting which keeps your boat nice and fresh all season long, and no water draining with the dual tube set ups.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I have a portable and I LOVE IT. It is self draining meaning the water evaporates. It is the most used accessory on the boat!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express