need advice - damage

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

georgepet

need advice - damage

Post by georgepet »

As some of you know, I'm in the military.

At the end of Sep, early Oct, just before haul out, I was in the Pacific and while there, there was a fairly fierce storm on Lake Champlain. Not much to do about it from 5,000 miles away.

I am on the windward side of my marina, and took the brunt of winds. So strong, that one of my mooring lines was cut, and my fender starboard aft was punctured, losing all its protection, and the combination of the two led the corner of the dock wreaking havoc on my boat until thankfully marina staff stabilized the situation.

After haul out it was too cold in my opinion to do much, but the photo's indicate what I'm facing as the weather warms and I can tackle this.

Would majic ezy work on this? what would the brain trust here recommend
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg (69.77 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
much appreciated in advance

G
George P
1978 Trojan F32 "Defiant"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: need advice - damage

Post by bjanakos »

That's all the way through the gel and the sides are cored. Personally, the first thing I would do is call the insurance company. Otherwise, I think you have a lot of work ahead of you.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

With that being so close to the water , maybe it would be better to have a proffessional look at that......very hard to match colors, .... not sure there is any core in the sides of an f32 at least where I have drilled thru, but you should avoid getting water in the glass fibres.

Interesting yours has the two separate vents instead of the one large.....Mike
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

bjanakos wrote:That's all the way through the gel and the sides are cored. Personally, the first thing I would do is call the insurance company. Otherwise, I think you have a lot of work ahead of you.
NO part of an F32 hull is cored... it is solid glass. Only coring are decks and superstructure.
I would get a pro to repair the Gel as some of it is down to the fiberglass.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

mikeandanne wrote:Interesting yours has the two separate vents instead of the one large.....Mike
And they are facing the wrong way. The original Trojan design pulled air in at stern and flushed it out midships.

Michael
Done Dreamin'
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

If you need a source for gel coat, you might try this place: http://minicraft.com/colormatch.htm

I've never used them, but bookmarked the site when I found it, in case I find myself in your situation. Is there any way to get them a sample to color match? Maybe a speaker cut-out or something? It would at least be a place to start. They also reportedly have a library of colors that they have matched before.

My tricab hull is not cored, which is one reason that I bought it. You may be able to get some data if you pull the vents off and take a look at the cross-section.

That is sure a good-looking boat there on that trailer.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I agree with having a pro look at it first, give you a price, then check with your insurance company. I think this is too much to be using a product in a tube for minor repairs. IMO, the whole area would have to be prepped, sanded, and where the glass is damaged, ground down further and glass mat applied. Colour match the gel, spray the entire area, lot of finish sanding, then polish. Finish sanding will be labour intensive to get a clean even surface that will match the original, and a good colour match will make all the difference on wether you'll be able to see the repair once completed.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

May want to consider painting the complete hull after glass repair good excuse for a color change . I have though about a color change on mine and something like this would force my hand :wink:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

ready123 wrote:
mikeandanne wrote:Interesting yours has the two separate vents instead of the one large.....Mike
And they are facing the wrong way. The original Trojan design pulled air in at stern and flushed it out midships.

Vent style (single vs double) and direction depend on model year. My '79 matches George's config. I believe I read at some point that Trojan changed the vent configurations after a sinking where it was felt that the forward facing rear vent may have contributed to let more water (spray) in to the bilge? They may have also moved the forward vents up to the salon side (above the deck) at the same time.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

And I agree with others re getting a pro in George...
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

+1 for getting pro to give you a quote. Like Paul said, great excuse for a new hull color. ( I get envious of LandV36 and DavidLofland hull colors)

Vent location /design is dependent on model year. Pic below is 88' I am thinking about replacing with Stainless vents. Not sure if they would be too noticeable and gaaudy though?
vents.JPG
vents.JPG (77.09 KiB) Viewed 7905 times
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

His F32 is same year as mine. I believe the change to your layout was in the '80's after that F32 sank in heavy seas on Lake Michigan.
I would like to see what his midship vents look like.... are they above the gunnel like yours?
Michael
Done Dreamin'
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

i agree with getting an estimate from a pro. I believe you will have a much better chance of having the repair match.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
georgepet

Post by georgepet »

Thanks everyone....

I have asked a pro to come, some time ago, he just hasn't made it there yet, maybe I need to ask "another" pro.....

WRT to colour change, yes, I'd like to do that, but gobsmacked at the first price quotes I received - but may end up having to do that.

Thanks again,

G
George P
1978 Trojan F32 "Defiant"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

georgepet wrote:.....gobsmacked at the first price quotes I received......
Doesn't surprise me, it will be labour intensive to get it to a point where you won't be able to tell the damage was ever there. I'm sure you can find someone that will claim to do it for a fraction of the cost but will they deliver the same end result or cut corners and leave a noticable patch that will stick out like a sore thumb.

Check the inside of this area (under deck) to see if there are any cracks on that side.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year