bottom paint

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: bottom paint

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Did he suggest switching blast media? Different media is used for different surfaces and coatings and thicknesses. Instant Fun had at least 20 years of anti-fouling buildup so silica was used and it worked well.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

He's checking around--obviously doesn't want to damage the gel coat. He mentioned walnut shells & corn, but I'll ask him about silica.
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Silica is aggressive, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. You're gonna have a renewed barrier coat anyway. These images are silica blasting with the nozzle 3 to 4 feet from the surface.
Attachments
IM000003.jpg
IM000003.jpg (22.09 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
IM000002.jpg
IM000002.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
IM000001.jpg
IM000001.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

He's trying walnut shells tomorrow. ..fingers crossed!
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

those pictures of blasting and the 2x4 stands are pretty sketchy looking
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

K4282 wrote:those pictures of blasting and the 2x4 stands are pretty sketchy looking
LOL, you need to spend more time in Alaska!!!! That looks pretty good by what I have witnessed
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

gitchisum wrote:
K4282 wrote:those pictures of blasting and the 2x4 stands are pretty sketchy looking
LOL, you need to spend more time in Alaska!!!! That looks pretty good by what I have witnessed
The commercial boat yards in Alaska have hundreds of boats blocked this way every winter. The 2x4 boxes may look funky, but they never fail.
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

adrewoh,
just read this thread. take it from someone who used a chemical stripper, blasting is the way to go!
if the baking soda isnt cutting quick enough he should be able to use a more abrasive media to get the majority of the buildup paint off and then switch back to baking soda to finish it off.
once your rid of the paint make sure you inspect any old blister repairs or any repairs for that matter. I had a handful of old blister repairs that were done by a previous owner. it looked like they had used a polyester repair material that had shrunk some. i was able to "pop" a few of these old repairs off with a putthy knife. I decided to remove all of the old repairs with a 5 inch DA sander and 36 grit paper held on an angle. I used thickened west system epoxy to properly make the repairs.

after I saw the amount of effort it took to get mine back to clean fiberglass , I did not let that opportunity go to waste. I applied 5 or six coats (will have to check my notes to be sure) of inter protect barrier coat . It was surprisingly easy to do with 2 people. I used alternating coats of grey then white etc to assure good coverage. it rolls on very nice. I can tell you each 1 gallon kit made it from the stern to within 3 to 4 foot from the bow on my 33ft 10 meter .
Best of luck with the project!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Been reading this and am a little surprised at how much folks are mentioning silica. I thought most duristictions had banned it as a blasting medium......no?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

Finally came down and used walnut shell--worked great! excited to get on the barrier & bottom...c'mon spring!!!!
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Congratulations. The Forum came through again.
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
bad440cuda

Post by bad440cuda »

anyone know who blasts around essex md middle river area? and what is the best paint for salt water
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

If soda did not work, then they probably need to use a more agressive media such as the walnuts or even sand. If it is that thick, you will probably never be able to do a stripping yourself. Is there anyone else that you could take the boat to?
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

He got it done with a different medium--I posted before that it was walnut shells, but I "lied", it was recycled beer bottles (perfect!)

It worked great!! I took the advice of the forum and did 3 coats of barrier paint doing 1st gray, 2nd white & 3rd gray so you make sure each is covered well--impressed some of the guys at the club that usually give me advise--Thanks again forum :lol: 2 coats of bottom paint--looks as good as a new boat! 5 coats of paint was a s-load of work

I also lowered the bottom paint to a few inches above the water line--gained about 10" of fiberglass. I could have done a better job on the paint match and smoothing the fiberglass there, but wanted to get in the water--I'll do a little more this fall and next spring, but really happy with it!!