Looking for Vessel Movers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Looking for Vessel Movers

Post by bjanakos »

I am relocating for work from the Chicago area to the Huston area and I am contemplating weather to sell my F-32 Sedan, or have it moved to Galveston. I suppose much of that decision will weigh upon how much it will cost to move this rig.

I am curious if anyone has any experience, positive or negative, with vessel haulers and if they can make a recommendation. I would like to gather a few quotes.

Regarding Galveston, if anyone knows the area and can recommend a marina, I would appreciate it. Right now, I am targeting Galveston Yacht Basin as it seems to be the closest to open waters.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Looking for Vessel Movers

Post by larryeddington »

There will be nay sayers but I used U-shipit.com to get quotes and it worked for me very well and boat was moved from Cleveland to E. Texas on time. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Is your cooling system open or closed? If its not a closed system, you'll probably want to convert it to one since you'll be boating in salt water.

Just a thought
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

USHIP.COM not ushipit.com I am, although i rarely use it anymore a listed shipper. You can place the boat for bid like ebay in reverse where people bid to do the job the lowest which will depend on their route, you can read reviews and credentials before accepting their bid. And as for opened/closed cooling I would not recommend changing from whatever you have, both work fine in salt water and if you already have a raw water cooled motor its probably no worth changing, thats quite costly, hmm, i suppose if it was fresh water the block wouldnt be too compromised inside, around here in New England which is all raw water you keep what you got and dont convert, maybe convert from fresh water cooled to raw water but not the other way for sure
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I got my Uship set up. No takers yet. So far I collected 2 quotes of $7,000 and $8,200 from 2 haulers recommended by the Galveston Yacht Basin. I'm on the fence if I want to move it at all.

Thanks to the others about input on raw water conversion, but I would rather keep this thread related to yacht transport.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Keep her posted there for a bit, the idea is that if someone is coming/going one way or the other they can bid cheap and still make something instead of coming back/going empty
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I think I might have found one. An outfit out of MN is hauling a boat from LA up north. It would not be too much out of the way for them to drag mine to TX.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Have you considered floating it there? Some Sunday, I won't go back to the Marina, I'll just head south and not look back :).

I've used Richard Johnson. he's in Northern IL.
http://greatriverboatexpress.webs.com/apps/location/
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

LandVF36 wrote:Have you considered floating it there?
I really don't have the time for that.