Another 11Meter conundrum...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dlattan
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Another 11Meter conundrum...

Post by dlattan »

I was winterizing the domestic water systems on the 1988 11 Meter this past weekend when I noticed what appears to be a level sensor just forward of the water heater. A bit in front of that was a 1" access hole, below which I could see water. It appeared as if this was in the top rear of the domestic water tank, which really confused me because (1) I had just drained the tank -and- (2) why would anyone put a hole in the top of the water tank! I stuck a tape measure down the hole, and found a foot to the bottom, with 10" of water. Trying to figure out that was going on, I put a length of tubing down the hole and used a wet-vac to suck up the liquid to see what it was. The vac emptied the space quickly, generating about 2 gallons of mildly dirty water [actually a bit yellowish]. Obviously, this is not in the main water tank [which holds 100 gallons]. I was wondering if this was a small section of bilge that had its limber hole(s) blocked, when I remembered the sensor -- which appears to be in the top of same space. Anyone have a clue what this is? Is it possibly a dedicated little tank for the AC condensate that is supposed to pump out based on the sensor? I am at a total loss on what this is.

As always, thanks in advance for your insights.
American Made
1988 Trojan 11 Meter International Express
Port of Havana, Illinois
Life AGLCA 17348
ARS W9PFD
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Another 11Meter conundrum...

Post by RWS »

Perhaps Roger DeVore can help.

Roger?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
bocadakota

Post by bocadakota »

Sorry, not a clue. I have a 1984 11 Meter Express and only known sensor is for 100 gallon fresh water tank about mid way of the tank under cabin floor. Hot water tank is under cabin entry steps with nothing below it. Solid wall aft of the steps between main cabin and engine room with no limber holes running under water tank or from main cabin to aft under engine room floor. From Roger DeVore
dlattan
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by dlattan »

Thanks Roger. The "mystery space" between the water heater and the fresh water tank. You mention a sensor for the 100 gallon fresh water tank... where does it display or what does it do?
American Made
Port of Havana, Illinois
Life AGLCA 17348
ARS W9PFD
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

If the level indicator was supposed to be connected to a bilge pump for pump out purposes, as you have suggested, it would require an external fitting somewhere (right?) and that fitting would be something you would have noticed, I would think. But it does sound like a possibility.

My question is, could this be a shower sump? The shower sump in my '94 370 express wasn't working when I bought it, although the shower water was running into it. I replaced the pump. Just a thought. Good luck

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
dlattan
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by dlattan »

Thanks. In the '88 11 Meter the shower sump appears to be the space just below the lattice in the bottom of the shower and holds perhaps 3 - 5 gallons. The pump sounds like it is right below. On this boat [as in life?] the more I learn, the less I know...
American Made
Port of Havana, Illinois
Life AGLCA 17348
ARS W9PFD
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

the more I learn, the less I know...
Keep at it, it is the only way to understand your boat. Get the manuals from Beacon if you don't have them. I am a bit of a freak and I have learned a lot because I have done a lot of work on my boat. One of my favorite things to do is to send Mr. Bocknek a picture of someplace on my boat that I'm sure he hasn't seen, even though he's had his longer (we have almost identical boats, except for the teal dock lines). Okay, so I'm easily amused....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!