Night Boating With An IR Camera And IR Flashlight

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhalb
Moderate User

Night Boating With An IR Camera And IR Flashlight

Post by jhalb »

I am trying out a idea that should allow me to spend more time on the river at night. I bought a Panasonic HX-A1 camera with an IR lenses and a $40 IR flashlight. This camera will hook up to my I Pad with direct WiFi, and attach to my mast or rail to see in the night or through medium fog.The camera and attachments including flashlight cost under $300 dollars. I have not used on the river yet but tested it outside and in my house. You can use as a live monitor or record video or take pictures. I did buy the add on battery to extend the battery up to 3 hours. The flashlight i bought has a range of 100 yards and sense it's an IR light it is invisible to the human eye.
Attachments
set up for mast or rail
set up for mast or rail
Night 4.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
camera, flashlight and attachments
camera, flashlight and attachments
Night 3.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
at 50 feet
at 50 feet
Night 1.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Re: Night Boating With An IR Camera And IR Flashlight

Post by Flyboy »

looks like a good idea. That would really help coming in the small inlets into the marinas. probably would really help spotting desbris. See you this spring.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Flir also makes a thermal imager that you can attach to an Android or iOS device. http://www.flir.ca/flirone/display/?id=69324

Usable range isn't that far (100-150' I am told) but only $250.
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Curious to see your results as I am looking for a cheap alternative to the IR nighttime boating experience. Please keep us updated when you get to try it out.

When you mean direct wifi you mean all I have to do is have a router right? It doesn't have to be connected to the internet to work correct?
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Realistically, before you consider IR for night time boating, you should first look at radar.... IR in my mind is more of a diagnostic aid (engine or exhaust temperatures, electrical circuits overheating, etc) or emergency aid (man overboard), or perhaps enhancing close quarters maneuvering in the dark. For basic navigation at night, you should be looking to radar.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

captainmaniac wrote:Realistically, before you consider IR for night time boating, you should first look at radar.... For basic navigation at night, you should be looking to radar.
+1 It really gives you the opportunity to see a long way in the dark. Also, its a real helper in the fog.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

captainmaniac wrote:Realistically, before you consider IR for night time boating, you should first look at radar.... IR in my mind is more of a diagnostic aid (engine or exhaust temperatures, electrical circuits overheating, etc) or emergency aid (man overboard), or perhaps enhancing close quarters maneuvering in the dark. For basic navigation at night, you should be looking to radar.
Then do you have a link to a "less than $300" make-shift radar system by chance? :wink:
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:Realistically, before you consider IR for night time boating, you should first look at radar.... IR in my mind is more of a diagnostic aid (engine or exhaust temperatures, electrical circuits overheating, etc) or emergency aid (man overboard), or perhaps enhancing close quarters maneuvering in the dark. For basic navigation at night, you should be looking to radar.

Agreed
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Captain Chill wrote:Curious to see your results as I am looking for a cheap alternative to the IR nighttime boating experience. Please keep us updated when you get to try it out.

When you mean direct wifi you mean all I have to do is have a router right? It doesn't have to be connected to the internet to work correct?
Direct WiFi connects between the camera and your I Pad or smart phone. You run a free app and control the camera. No router is needed. I don't now how this will work but there were times I stayed out too late and was concerned about logs and such.you can take this from boat to boat.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Captain Chill wrote:
Then do you have a link to a "less than $300" make-shift radar system by chance? :wink:
Is that the new value of life and safety these days?
Last edited by bjanakos on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

bjanakos wrote:
Captain Chill wrote:
captainmaniac wrote:
Is that the new value of life and safety these days?
Not sure why you are trying to take or portray this out of context... CaptainChill was (jokingly) asking if there was a cheaper radar system. Why are you trying to make it look like it was me asking the question seriously?

Do you just not know know how to copy/quote posts, or are you actually trying to attack me?
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

captainmaniac wrote:
Not sure why you are trying to take or portray this out of context... CaptainChill was (jokingly) asking if there was a cheaper radar system. Why are you trying to make it look like it was me asking the question seriously?

Do you just not know know how to copy/quote posts, or are you actually trying to attack me?
Take a Captain Chill Pill. No one is "attacking" you. Forgive me, an honest mistake. Fixed.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I think this is a fabulous idea. Show me radar that can detect crab pots.....

Please provide an update once you try this out.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!