cleaning edlebrock carbs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

buffalobill

cleaning edlebrock carbs

Post by buffalobill »

Testing the waters out there for anybody who has cleaned out a edlebrock carb. Our F32 has 1 on each 360 engine and the starboard engine once in a while will die at idle under load and when I looked down the throat while in winter storage it looks dull and not the shiney alum. surface as most carbs look when clean. Any thoughts out there?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: cleaning edlebrock carbs

Post by prowlersfish »

You can try cleaning with spray carb cleaner , but it won't make it shine and likely won't help much . Your issue could be simple adjustments . If it is not adjustments then a disassemble and clean maybe in order (overhaul) . But it still won't shine lol .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

There are some carburetor cleaning solutions that come in a 5 gallon bucket with a colander-like tray for parts that you dip into the solution. The one I have will definitely get aluminum looking bright and shiny. You have to be really careful what you put in there -- it will destroy gaskets and seals.

I completely disassemble to the discrete part level before cleaning in that solution. Afterwards, I use a heated, water based solvent in a ultrasonic cleaner, then rinse in hot water and blow dry. It is amazing how clean parts will get!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
buffalobill

Post by buffalobill »

Thanks for the replys. We used to use Fedron but that is outlawed now. Just having stall issues with the starboard engine at idle and under load.
Has any one pulled these Edlebrock Carbs apart?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have done the AFBs they were the same
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D