New Lithium House Bank

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boppy
Sporadic User

New Lithium House Bank

Post by Boppy »

Well, I’m back with an update on my install of the following on our 77 Trojan F26 Hardtop, and I’m pleased with the result so far:

House Bank
- 2 Battle Born LiFEPO4 100AH batteries wired in parallel an connected to a new Blue Seas 1-2-All-Off battery switch
- 2 170W rigid frame solar panels fitted to the hardtop
- 1 Victron 100-30 MPPT solar controller wired from the panels through a 30A breaker to the bus bar in the house bank compartment
- 1 Victron BMV 712 Smart Battery Monitor wired through the Victron Smart Shunt to track power consumption and status
- 1 Victron Orion Smart 12/12- 30A DC-DC charger between the engine battery (1 FLA 70A) and the house bank. 70A alternator to charge the engine battery and send any excess power to the house bank. This device is designed to regulate and throttle back alternator current to the lithium bank, to prevent burning out the alternator.
-1 Victron IP67 Smart AC/DC plug in charger which can be run off the boat’s AC system when on shore power, or can be run off the small 600W inverter if necessary. This is more of a backup than anything else.

I installed the whole shooting match last week, and made all the cable runs and connections myself. This was my COVID pandemic project. Started thinking it through with PLENTY of time on my hands, and glad I did. The overall plan is to use the boat out on the water where she belongs, not tied to the dock, spending time at anchor for days in coves, bays and off islands on our lake in upstate NY.

The longevity and power profile of the Battle Borns (10 year warranty, built in battery mgt system, and 20% discharge floor) will more than meet my meager AH draws each day, and be replenished each day via solar any time during daylight, and via alternator otherwise.

No need to run the portable genny.

That’s the plan. We’ll see how it all works out..
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Lithium House Bank

Post by prowlersfish »

Thank you for the update. Glad its coming along :D .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Goran

Post by Goran »

Boppy
I hope everything workout as you planned
Trojan 25F
Volvopenta 42
Lot of home-brew beer
Split-Croatia
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Another update. Unplugged from AC power at 6 pm on May 15 and ran Norcold AC/DC fridge, stereo, LED cabin lights, anchor light and VHF overnight for a “typical” power consumption at anchor. Turned off cabin lights, stereo, and VHF around 11pm. Norcold cycled on and off during the night (4 amp draw) and LED anchor light on all night. Woke up at 8 am and checked the Battle Born LFP state of charge (SOC). 90%! Solar panels started charging (nice sunny morning) and by noon my LFP house bank was at 100% SOC. Things are looking good.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That's Great!! :D :D :D
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Goran

Post by Goran »

super :)
during sunny weather and longer days with 200AH fully charged before sunset this is expected
I see only potential problems in atum with shorter days and some clouds ,
but you can increase solar power always if needed
Trojan 25F
Volvopenta 42
Lot of home-brew beer
Split-Croatia
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

But can you make coffee in the am? That's the real test! :mrgreen:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

1500W inverter on the list. Right now it’s propane and a French press. Gotta have coffee no matter what! :D
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Recommended. My fridge is 120V only. Having an inverter means that I can keep the fridge cold while underway without running the generator. Also useful for coffee in the a.m. as noted, without waking others on the boat or in the anchorage.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!