Greeks in Athens know a good boat

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JuiceClark
Moderate User

Greeks in Athens know a good boat

Post by JuiceClark »

Have any of you seen what an F-36 sells for in Greece....wow:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... earchtype=

I'm going to have to sell my baby pretty soon. Maybe I'll ship it to Athens to sell! I sure won't be motoring it there at $3/gallon.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Twin CATs

Post by rossjo »

Twin CATs for $175k ... heck - I'll get a barge of diesel and take mine over for $175k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you Tony? My diver cleaned the boat up today - and I'm really leaning toward a boat bunker ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

Doin' alright. The diver came on Wed to check my zincs while he was scraping all my neighbors boats...not a single barnacle. After almost 2 years the barnacle barrier is lookin' a little ragged around the edges...but I'll try to get another year out of it before I create the next generation.
---------
I took about 10 clients out to dinner tonight on the boat...had a great time heading to a waterfront place nearby. BUT, I'm sure glad I started the engines to get them warmed up before company came.

When I started the port engine tonight it barely would catch and sounded like it had a really hard knock. The exhaust water had a lot of air in it. The damn thing wouldn't even run unless I gave it quite a bit of gas. Well, I've been through this before...one of the pistons had a little water in it and wasn't firing(I think). So, I let it run very carefully and after about 4 minutes it all of a sudden started running perfectly.

This is what killed my last engine...died with only 250 hours on it. It's water getting into one of the cylinders and when the engine heats up it cooks the water away and starts firing in the wet cylinder. But the piston will be all corroded in a week (prolly' already) and I'll have to have the head reconditioned. On the last engine, moisture made it all the way to the other side of the engine via the intake manifold....totally ruined. I read in Boat US magazine that Marine Power and other new 8.1s are still having this problem...it's inherent in the design.

I really hate Mercruiser and these 454s are custom made to leak. Sure, I got the long block for only 1,500 bucks...but it's already screwed-up with 150 hours on it. I will NEVER buy another boat with a GM gas engine...ever. It's good ol' diesels for me for now on.

Anybody want to buy a boat? I'm sure it will have a brand new long block on the port side....damn it all!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

JuiceClark its due to the valve over lap the older engine with the old type cams did not have this proplems ,a high Pref. cam is even worse
with the over lap the engine is sucking back a little exhust all the time at idel. and as you know the exhust on a boat is complete with salt water .

Rossjo when you go tow mine along :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JuiceClark
Moderate User

nice engines.....for a car!

Post by JuiceClark »

Yeah Prowler...unfortunately I know all about it. That fine mist corrodes those valves until they start stickin'. Then, the water really starts coming in when they're cold. sux.

I had a chance to buy a pair of Volvo 275 hp diesels with the gears for $10k total just after I bought these 454s. Needless to say, passing on that was a big mistake. If anyone want's to steal the engines from my boat, I won't say anything until five days after they're gone.