Removal of F-32 Fuel Tank

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Removal of F-32 Fuel Tank

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Has anyone removed their f-32 rear fuel tanks. How difficult was it. How much do they weigh empty.

I have some gunk or something in my starboard fuel tank that plugs the uptake tube when I go up on plane.

Can't seem to get rid of it so will pull tank this winter unless I can find some place to polish the fuel in the tank.

Any ideas?

Tank looks good outside and underneath. 1978 F-32 two 60 gal. tanks

Port tank is fine.

Southwest Michigan.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I had an issue with my rear tank once. It was the anti syphon valve. Do you have them? Check those first, they get gummed up and restrict the opening and of course, restrict fuel flow. Very simple to remove, inspect and clean.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Fuel tank anti-siphon

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I did check the anti siphon valves twice and they were working properly and were clean. It is in the tank and I wish I could suck the stuff out of the tank and into the fuel filters but it never makes it past the pipe at the bottom of the tank.

As soon as I level off the engine runs fine but when I go up on plane it bogs down again.
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

I had junk in the bottom of my tanks when I switched to ethanol two years ago. I removed a fitting in the top of the tank, and used an electric fuel pump and a length of semi rigid nylon tubing to pump the stuff out.

Pump and tubing cost less than $75.
Safari

Post by Safari »

I had the same problem. I used a Tempo vacuum oil change pump and a piece of copper tubing to get the last few gallons of gunk. Due to the ongoing gas issue, I plan on removing my aft tanks permanently. Probably put new water tanks back there.

Bill
rossjo
Ultimate User

Lower tanks

Post by rossjo »

Hs anyone replaced their F32 tanks with lower profiel models, and lowered the cockpit decking?

My cockpit was completely replaced with a fiberglass unit (with nice hatches, etc.), but it was installed at the same level (and a new Stbd tank sits high just beneath it).

The only thing preventing me from dropping the cockpit floor 6-9" are the fuel tanks ... I would love to replace the tanks with lower models, and possible saddle tanks along the outside to gain back lost volume, and lower the floor for fishability.

Thoughts?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Ross,

I replaced my tanks and attempted to lower the cockpit. Unfortunatly, the tank height wasn't the only obstical. There is a molded in ledge or rim around the the inside of the hull just below the scuppers. That ledge extends around to the sides and it is this ledge that supports the cockpit deck. To lower the height of the deck you would have to hang it from below that ledge or find an alternate means of support, which I suppose is doable, but pretty involved. This would leave that ledge exposed above the deck (unless you cut it out) and you'd have to cut new scuppers and patch the old. It seemd like more work than it was worth but it sure would have been nice to get rid of the cockpit stanchions and rails.
rossjo
Ultimate User

I'll look

Post by rossjo »

I'll look at mine again tonight. I think my ledges we radjusted when the new fiberglass cockpit sole was put in. They made some thin covers to go around the sides, so I would easily replace these with a taller setup. It would be a lot of work, but we love the boat, and a 36 would be hard to turn around inthe turning basin next to my dock - so the 32 will probably stay with us a while.

I have no rails now, so it really looks "sporty", but it would be safer and better for fishing with about 6-9 more inches and a step down from the door.

What size/shape tanks did you go with?

I have a cylindrical tank on the port (original) and a rectangular stainless tank to stbd. The port tank is probably due for replacement in the next couple years, and could be the time to replace both and drop the floor.

Anyone else played with this?
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

My new tank is rectangular, (center mounted) and the bottom is angled like the hull- it almost looks like an upside down house. 230+ gallons.

I don't have the dress panels in my cockpit anymore so the ledge would show on my boat.

rossjo
Ultimate User

nice

Post by rossjo »

Nice - 1 tank?

It looks like you have dress panels - or is this the exterior fiberglass molded to your cockpit floor?

Are those your original scupper designs? Looks nice (except for lures, dog biones dropping through) - mine are very different, and go though hoses to through hull sonthe side (which is not my favorite setup. but no water comes in in a following sea or when backing down.)

I went out to look at mine, but it gets dark around 8 now, so I couldn't see very well, so I'll have to look this afternoon or weekend ...
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Yes 1 tank.

No dress panels- that is the actual hull sides (finished of course).

Scuppers are not original. The originals were very inadequate - 3 3/4" holes out the back - no hoses and very little flow even just hosing off the deck. I cut these new ones in and I haven't had any issues with water backing in. These as well as the originals are about 21-14" above the water line at rest (higher under way).