Tricabin Hatch finishing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Tricabin Hatch finishing

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi

There was some comment recently concerning what to do with recovering the hatch. A couple of seasons ago, the teak veneer on my hatch was badly rippled and essentially, all worn out.

I removed the hatch itself and took it to home to my garage workshop.

I decided to strip off all of the old, ruined teak veneer and this left me with an uneven splintered mess. I sanded it with a belt sander and then applied polyfilla into all the uneven grooves and gouges. Then I sanded the polyfilla as best I could in order to obtain a smooth surface for the new surface material.

I decided to cover the area with white melamine which I eventually glued into place, very carefully. It took a bit of measuring and remeasuring, to get it to fit exactly.

Before gluing the melamine sheet onto the top side of the hatch, I completely sanded down the surounding Teak sides of the hatch and then finished them with cetol.

Only after that work was finished did I actually glue down the melamine.

Then I carefully masked the teak "cetol finished" outer edges of the hatch and then spray painted the melamine hatch top with white gloss melamine spray paint. I applied several coats.

It has stood up very well.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Rick

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/rickdow/hatch/
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Good looking job. I have been considering a similar rework on mine but haven't decided what to do yet. My teak is still good condition, just needs a good cleaning I believe.

You have certainly given me some food for thought. Yours turned out great.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
turtlem1969
Moderate User

Post by turtlem1969 »

I am thinking about cutting down some old/broken teak into thin strips to redo mine, but it looks like the way you did it would be a lot easier.
BJ

1972 F25HT "Billy Bob"
1974 36' Tri-Cabin