Removing the Gooey Mess on my Hatch Frames

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mac32
Moderate User

Removing the Gooey Mess on my Hatch Frames

Post by Mac32 »

Hello again gang,
For someone who just joined the forum Ill bet you are allready tired of all my questions, and Guess what? I am holding back quite a bit considering there is a F32 hull with no interior, window glass, flybridge, and only 8 weeks til the official boating season is upon us. Nobody freaking out here.....gulp.:shock:

Stringer tear down going good, (Ill post pics if anyone wants) so the wife pulled the hatches and frames to start refinishing and take care of a little delam on the deck.

The hatches were bedded either from the factory or in later years with what looks to be like 5200 adhesive. I need to remove the mess from the teak wood hatch frames. I was thinking of trying Marine formula from DeBond corp. Has anyone heard of this, used it, or found something that wont damage the teak?

Oh yeah also I have some Crazing happening on the acrylic (I think its acrylic) hatches. Has anyone had success polishing these up? I have seen products on the market made specifically for this but am overwhelmed with the selection.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Pics

Post by JuiceClark »

Hey I'd luv to see some pics of the stringer project. We're all proud of ya for diggin' in and doing it yourself. Not bad...right?!

I rebeded my hatches last year. The only way I could get the old 5200 off them was to cut it with a big ol' bread knife. Since it's obviously not coming off, I didn't worry about getting every last bit.

Tony
1981 F-36 in FL
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Mac-I'm not real familiar with the hatches on an F32-I have an F26. The F26 had "opaque" fiberglass hatch that made the boat look older than it's age-which was approximately 25 years. I purchased a great book-"This Old Boat"-by Don Casey. He has a design in it for overlaying old hatches with new plastic-acrylic, or preferrably polycarbonate.
Can you take your hatch apart to access the acrylic sheet?-If you can you should consider just replacing the plastic-plastics do tend to brittle with age so you may end up replacing at some point anyway.
Also-stay away from acrylic-spend a little bit more and go with polycarbonate. It is tougher, and not quite as prone to scratching. (I also replaced the acrylic in my cabin windows with new polycarbonate. I used the old plastic windows as patterns after I had removed it from the frames). The new plastic really dressed the old gal up.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

one other thing-removing a urethane sealant-pretty tough to do. You may try nail polish remover, methyl ethyl ketone and methylene chloride (if you can find it) in that order. Methylene Chloride is very harsh-it is a suspected carcenogen(sp?) so use chemical reisistant rubber gloves and an air cartridge respirator if you work with it.
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Ok, I found a few things that work. Debond 2012, found one small can left on the clearance table at west marine. Tiny can for $12 worked good, says it breaks down the molecular bond??? seems to work well though .

The other thing that works equally as well,,,,,,,,Acetone..... I am using it on teak, not sure what it will do to fiberglass but for the price vs volume, this is the way to tackle the goo.